Troops ordered to border

Donald Trump has decided to send 5,200 troops to the U.S. and Mexican border. This order was put into action in response to interesting developments for migrates near the area.

For the past couple of months, there has been a whirlwind of problems at the border, specifically involving migration. With poverty and political instability in Honduras and Mexico, a caravan of immigrants is traveling north in search of a safer life.

Anticipating conflict, Trump sent the troops to the United States’ border, though he is now saying he would send 15,000 depending on how the encounter begins to play out.

Many believe Trump’s decision was sparked by the upcoming midterm elections. The President must stand by his tough stance on immigration to remain in many republicans’ good graces, which this action’s message definitely carries.  

as a human I want to help those in need, but at the same time, where is all the money to help these people going to come from?

— Anna Griffin

Anna Griffin, a well-informed senior at Pleasant Valley High School, has conflicting views on the deployed troops. She said, “I’m glad I’m not in Trump’s shoes because as a human I want to help those in need, but at the same time, where is all the money to help these people going to come from?”

She reiterated that it is easy for her sit in Iowa and tell the government to help everyone, but she knows she should remember the negative impact that help may have on American citizens in those areas. She said, “I think it’s an unpopular opinion, and of course I want to help as many people as possible, but we don’t have the resources needed to do so.” She emphasized that this was a conflict without a simple answer.

The troops sent by Trump are intended to stop any migrant from entering the country, as he doesn’t believe America should tolerate any more illegal immigration. Trump said, “The Democrats have let immigration in our country get out of control with…not allowing us to have any votes to get passage. We need Democrat votes to change the immigration laws.” With elections soon taking place, anything is possible for the border’s outcome.