Immigrant workers double check

It is no surprise that President Trump is going after immigrants, as his campaign was based on it.  His latest executive order aims to make sure immigrants who enter the United States on a work visa are there to do what they claim. The visa which will be reviewed and possibly revised is the H-1B visa.

Trump is worried some of the workers who are entering the country and taking lower paying jobs shouldn’t be qualifying for the visa. He is also worried about some who are entering the country to work jobs at a lower pay grade than people from within the country, with businesses using it to their benefit.

Trump wants to make sure people are properly examined before they are given the visa. He only wants workers that are highly paid to be given the visas because they are highly skilled in their fields. His order won’t make an immediate change to the way that the visas are given out; it will only open up a review and analysis of how it works and how it can be made to better fit his agenda. Jordyn Haessler, senior, said, “I think it’s a good idea to take a look and make sure the visas are given out to the proper people. I don’t think he should make it too strict though.”

This revised visa plan will mostly affect tech companies. The Silicone Valley in California is known for these types of businesses and gets many workers from foreign countries. The travel bans put in place by Trump have already affected their businesses enough for 162 of them to go to court to try to reverse these bans. Companies involved include Uber, SpaceX, Spotify, and Twitter. Cam Peer, senior, said, “As long as it doesn’t drastically affect these companies, I think it’s a good idea to make sure not just anyone can get a visa to work in the U.S.”