Greig to Grand View

Michael Sampson
Chloe Greig, above, running during the MAC cross country meet.

Chloe Greig, a runner for Pleasant Valley, announced her commitment to Grand View University on Oct. 31.

Greig decided to continue both her cross country and track career for the Vikings, which is common for long distance runners. Greig has been on the cross country and track team since her freshman year in high school. She was one of the top five runners for Pleasant Valley this year in cross country, and helped her team to a MAC title and a 6th place finish at state.

Greig didn’t always know if she was going to run in college, but when her last race came she knew it couldn’t be her last one ever. “It felt great to commit because after I finished my last high school cross country race I knew that I wasn’t done for good. I am so excited to keep doing what I love,” Greig stated.

Grand View University is a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) college located in Des Moines, Iowa. The cross country and track program is coached by Jerry Monner. Monner has been the head coach for fifteen seasons. He has had a lot of success because he has coached the Vikings to be one of the top programs in the Midwest Collegiate Conference.

“I chose Grand View because it is a smaller school that really focuses on the athletes. All of the teachers are really supportive of student athletes and work well with conflicts between them,” Greig said. “The campus was the right size for me. Also they had really good soft serve chocolate ice cream which was a plus.”

Greig was recruited to run the 3200 meter race and 1600 meter race during the track season, which is what she runs in high school.

“Chloe has been a joy to coach. She works hard, she brings a great attitude to practice each day, she’s invested in improving herself and those around her, and she’s a wonderful young lady to be around. She’s a great example of character and service and you always want those kinds of people to be a part of your team,” Kenny Wheeler, the varsity girls track coach, explained. “Grand View will be lucky to have this talented young lady.”