Assembly honors 100 year anniversary of Armistice Day

Assembly organizer, Quique Riojas Berazaluce, shakes the hand of a LeClaire veteran

Photo credit to Maya McClain

Photo credit to Maya McClain

Photo credit to Maya McClain

Ashlee Kwak, Social Media Manager

One hundred years ago, one of the largest incidents in world history occurred: World War I.

In remembrance of the Great War, this year Pleasant Valley put on an assembly. PV Chamber choir sang joined with the wind symphony band. There was a presentation of the colors, families of PV alumni who went into the army were honored and a new addition of a remembrance wall was added to the main hallway. The idea to do this assembly is partially credited to our very own Quique Rojas Berazaluce.

Berazaluce isn’t originally from the United States. His dad works for John Deere and his family had a sudden move here from Mexico about 6 years ago. Berazaluce said, “The reason why I’m doing this assembly is because this is something that I want to be a part of. I want to be a part of this American society, and I want to teach people a lesson.” Even though he only has his green card, he admires the United States and wants to become a full citizen soon.

The United States itself has had quite a dark past. It has been through wars, the Great Depression, terrorist attacks and much more. World War I is considered one of the largest incidences in history. Berazaluce summarized the great war and said, “Everyone in the first World War tried to assert their dominance, and it didn’t work because they weren’t working together; they were more so working against each other.” The war ended in 1918, and everyone thought that it would be the “war to end all wars”. Unfortunately, this was not the case as World War II began just 21 years later.

Obviously the United States isn’t a  perfect country, but many people still glorify the American Dream. While talking about his perspective, Berazaluce stated, “I take America for what it is now, history should not define it. It is not a perfect country, no country ever is, but it’s good. It’s better than a lot of countries.”

I take America for what it is now, history should not define it. It is not a perfect country, no country ever is, but it’s good. It’s better than a lot of countries”

— Quique Rojas Berazaluce

So yes, the United States has been through a lot, but Berazuluce is saying that the past of United States shouldn’t define its present or future. There is both good and bad, but people don’t have to dwell on the bad parts. People had fought hard for their life and their country, and this can not be forgotten.

The assembly itself ran a little longer than usual. It began with Mike Zimmer talking a bit about World War I, and explaining how the assembly came to be. He introduced Berazaluce as well. Following this, the chamber choir and the band performed “America the Beautiful”, the band played the “Star Spangled Banner”, the “Pledge of Allegiance” was led by the National Honor Society presidents and then the band and choir performed “Battle Hymn of the Republic”.

A select few from Drama put on a skit focused on letters that were written by soldiers from the war. Leading out of the skit, concert choir performed an arrangement of “In Flanders Fields” and then there was a 21 gun salute. The student body was respectful and quiet the entirety of the time. It was a very moving assembly, especially when the families of PV Alumni accepted folded flags in remembrance of their soldiers who had died in the Vietnam War.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Assembly honors 100 year anniversary of Armistice Day”

1. Jake Brandmeyer on November 15th, 2018 9:33 pm

I really enjoyed the assembly and thought it was really cool that our school was taking that extra step to honor the veterans.

2. Hunter snyder on November 16th, 2018 9:45 am

I really enjoyed the assembly I thought it was really cool and was one of my favorites

3. Kevin Burke on November 29th, 2018 10:37 pm

I really enjoyed the assembly and I thought it was very cool because it was different. Very nice article covering this touching ceremony

4. Bob Brockhouse on January 14th, 2019 10:31 pm

I was deeply moved by the assembly. The rapt attention of the students to the entire program convinced me that respect for our country and our flag is alive and well. As an American Legion member and participant in the program I was honored and pleased that the Legion was asked to be involved in the ceremony. My sincere thank you to ALL who were involved in this outstanding show of respect to our veterans.
    God Bless America.

• Assembly honors 100 year anniversary of Armistice Day

News

New changes in positions and leadership roles at the high school

News

Pleasant Valley School District: possibly sued for discrimination

Beyond PV

How Alabama’s abortion laws affect Iowa

PV News

Engineering students take first place in the Trebuchet Egg Throw Competition

News

Leveling the playing field: the SAT Adversity Score

PV News

Concerns of safety in local synagogues

News

School board names Darren Erickson as new PVHS principal

Beyond PV

In response to anti-vaxxer movement, many bans form against those without vaccinations

PV News

Responsibility of recycling not taken seriously

Beyond PV

Quick rundown: Who’s running in 2020?