PVBXC travels to Nike

photo credit to Penny Smith
PVBXC poses after the race, by the start line

Running with the best

That is what the boys XC team was up against in Sioux Falls, South Dakota; the best. Last year when the team traveled to up to Nike Regionals they were still on a high from winning state in Iowa. But the Nike heartland meet isn’t only teams from Iowa. Nike invites teams from the heartland of the US. Those states include Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas. “I like meeting new people and seeing lots of different personalities,”  commented Sammy Schuster, senior.

The best teams from the six best states come to this meet. The best of the best. This doesn’t mean there aren’t better teams on the east or west coast, but if your team places in the top three at this qualifying meet then Nike flys you and your team to Portland, Oregon to race against the other best team in the US.

Last year the team placed fifth out of 20 plus teams. This year team didn’t win state, finishing in fourth. Every guy on the team knew they could run better, “After state we all did decent and we all can do better and since Nike is such a nice course I knew we could all PR by a lot,” stated senior caption, Gavin Smith

Unfortunately, the day of the meet came, and the weather was less than ideal. It was twenty degrees with a wind chill of fifteen mph. At the start of any XC race there are hundreds of runners trying to get out in a good position. This meet was no exception. The hundreds of runners all battling and pushing to get a good spot causes lots of chaos and accidents. Kent Nichols was tripped and just missed being stepped on. Gavin Smith also was shoved in the back, which then affected the rest of his race.

The team ended up placing tenth overall out of thirty teams. They are still holding their heads high, and preparing for next season.