Athlete of the week: Spencer Clark

Photo Credit to Stacey Zapolski
The boys varsity swim team poses for a picture after their state championship meet in Iowa City (Clark is in the second row in the center)

Senior Spencer Clark, this week’s featured athlete, shows his positive spirit by smiling through the endless swim practices of the fresh season.

Clark has swam on the high school team all four years and is currently one of the four senior captains. He excels as a breaststroker and butterflyer and adds to the team’s impressive lineup.

Competitive swimming entered Clark’s radar during sixth grade when his friends, who were already on the team, and his love of recreational swimming convinced him to join Piranhas Swim Club. Clark grew up trying many different sports but stuck with swimming due to the unique nature of it being both an individual and a team sport.

With the boys’ season just beginning, Clark cannot wait for the gifted team to take on the competition. He said,

I’m really looking forward to the swim meets. We have a very naturally talented team this year with plenty of potential for further growth. It’s exciting to see how we will stack up against the other teams

— Spencer Clark

“I’m really looking forward to the swim meets. We have a very naturally talented team this year with plenty of potential for further growth. It’s exciting to see how we will stack up against the other teams.” 

Clark anticipates a season and team filled to the brim with positivity, which he has no lack of. “The atmosphere has been fantastic. The team seems to be working harder than ever during practice, and we all have high hopes for this season,” he said.

Teammates of Clark also commented on his bright personality. Jacob McCredie, a fellow captain emphasized Clark’s natural ability to spread encouragement. “Spencer is a very good leader and hard worker. He came into high school season out of shape, but everyday I see him working hard and bringing the team with him because he wants to make the most of his senior year,” he said.

The team is in good hands with its captains Clark, McCredie, Kevin Burke and Noah Streeter. They constantly encourage the boys to do their best. McCredie said, “We try to make them feel as though they are a part of a swim family as well as a team no matter what level they are on,” he said.