#MeToo: the movement’s influence on school curriculum

The+sexual+education+program+taught+at+Pleasant+Valley.+
Angela Pandit
The sexual education program taught at Pleasant Valley.

With the rise of the #Metoo movement in the U.S, several states are considering to implement consent into their sexual education classes.

In the U.S., 24 states including the District of Columbia mandate sex education. Although sex ed is mandated in these states, the content that is being taught can be different. The education requirements in each state can range from teaching about HIV/AIDS, contraceptives, and abstinence. Some states require parental consent to teach sex ed to their child while others make it a requirement to teach the class to all students.

As the #Metoo movement in the U.S gains popularity, eight states have required mentioning consent in their sex ed programs. These states include California, Hawaii, New Jersey, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, and also Washington D.C.

Although the laws passed vary per state, in general, these states have adopted consent programs into their education systems where the idea of consent and sexual assault are being discussed. Some states like Rhode Island and West Virginia have an outlined program about consent and sexual assault that is age-specific.

Other states do not have an age-specific program and teach similar material to all students. By implementing consent programs, these states hope to teach kids from a young age

When the school fails to talk about this serious issue, students are obliged to handle their emotions and heal on their own without the support from their school.

— Preksha Kedilaya

about boundaries and behaviors accepted within daily relationships.

At PV, the health department uses a curriculum called “Worth the Wait” which is an abstinence based program but does not focus on abstinence only. The program was approved by the district wide Human Growth and Development Committee.

Amid the #Metoo movement, consent has not been added as a lesson to the sex ed program. “The state has not mandated [teaching consent] as a requirement for sex education curriculums yet,” said health teacher Amy LaBarge. “But we do talk about about potential legal consequences of participating in sexual behaviors as a teen which would include age and consent, ‘no’ means ‘no’ and date rape,” LaBarge added.

Junior Preksha Kedilaya is an avid supporter of the #Metoo movement. Kedilaya believes schools should teach their students about sexual assault because the student should not feel alone if they are a victim to sexual assault. “When the school fails to talk about this serious issue, students are obliged to handle their emotions and heal on their own without the support from their school,” she said.