Spartan varsity cheerleaders spirit in the Dome

Coach Ramirez
Varsity cheerleaders representing the Spartans at the Dome

Although football season has come to an end, the cheerleaders are still working hard and representing Pleasant Valley very well. Every year the Iowa Cheerleading and Iowa High School Association sponsor the Iowa Honor Cheer Squad. This squad performed at the halftime of two Iowa High School Football Championship games on Nov. 16 in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

This squad consists of juniors and seniors on the varsity cheer team from schools all over Iowa. After being chosen to perform in the Iowa Honor Squad, participants had to fill out a checklist stating what stunts they felt confident in. There are over 400 coaches and participants so it was important that routine was well planned out based on what type of skill each individual could do.

Three cheerleaders from our varsity cheer team got chosen to represent Pleasant Valley in the Dome during half time. Each ICCA member can only send up to 3 cheerleaders per school and this year, Gibson Yost, Maddie Meincke, and Morgan Ramirez were chosen to attend.

It was a real honor to be chosen and it’s exciting to be able to meet girls around Iowa that love what I love, cheer.

— Maddie Meincke

In order to prepare for this performance they had to do a lot of practicing. Their first practice was on Nov. 11 from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm in Ames, Iowa. Their second practice was held on Thursday, Nov. 15 at 2:30 pm in the Dome. Lastly, their third practice was held on Friday, Nov. 16 from 7:30 am to 9:00 am.

Julia Necker, a current junior on the team, said “The three girls that went for Pleasant Valley are very talented and we all knew they would do a great job representing us.” Performing with this team was a big commitment because each practice was mandatory and if they missed one they would be unable to perform.   

Another great thing that the cheerleaders got out of this experience was all the new people they met from all over Iowa. Maddie Meincke, current senior, stated, “It was a real honor to be chosen and it’s exciting to be able to meet girls around Iowa that love what I love, cheer.” During the final performance at halftime each cheerleader was asked to wear their school uniform so people could see the variety of cheerleaders and what school they are representing.  

Necker also stated, “I’m excited to see who gets to attend the Iowa Honor Squad next year and I think it’s a great experience for anyone who gets to go.” Meeting cheerleaders from all over Iowa and being able to cheer with them is a great learning experience and may even encourage cheerleaders to cheer in college.