All work and no play

Photo credit to Noah Streeter
The Quad Cities received over a foot of snow in a matter of hours

Whether it was sleeping in, catching up on homework, or hanging out with friends, students enjoyed the first snow day of the year on Nov 26.

For many, the first snow day comes as a sign of hope for more to come later in the winter, seeing as in past years snow days either come in full force or not at all. Three years ago, the now seniors experienced an anomaly: multiple days in a row off. These were not even snow days, but rather cold days where it was not uncommon to have weather as low as negative 45 degrees outside.

In recent years, PV has seen as little as one to two days off due to snow or other weather related seasons and some think that was not enough. Senior Jacob McCredie expressed his feelings on last year’s lack of snow days. “There was a day where it was way to cold for kindergartners to be outside waiting for the bus.”

Not only is it cold for small children, but for kids of any size. According to the National Weather Service, at negative 45 degrees anybody not properly dressed can get frostbite in as little as ten minutes on a calm day and as few as five minutes for any day with more than 15 miles per hour winds.

This however, was no cold day. For seniors, this is their first official snow day in high school, many of which enjoyed the day off to do fun or productive things. Cecilie Schieffer, a senior, explained the importance of this snow day to her. “I had a Friendsgiving brunch with my friends that I hadn’t been able to spend time with in a while.”

Being a senior, I love the school make up policy because I don’t have to make up days that we miss

— Cecilie Schieffer

Another Senior, Kaitlyn Ryan, commented on how she spent her snow day as well. “On this past snow day, since it was after break, I did not have any homework to do so I used the time to do some stuff that I was meaning to get around too.” Ryan added later that she still managed to have some fun and went sledding with her friends.

Some will have to face the repercussions of making up the school days as beyond two snow days school is pushed into summer break. For seniors, a snow day means less days of school since they finish on May 22 no matter what. Schieffer was overjoyed knowing this when the snow day was declared. “Being a senior, I love the school make up policy because I don’t have to make up days that we miss.” However, Schieffer reminisced on the repercussions of this. “Although it sucks that my classes this semester are getting cut even shorter.”

As the year goes on, students will continue to look forward to snow days and the hours of joy and rest they bring.

$480
$1000