Coffee in the commons has great potential

Image Credits to John Mendelin
Coffee mugs clink in the commons.

A small group of Pleasant Valley teachers started a movement to strengthen student and teacher connections through two universal uniting factors: coffee and conversation. For the past two Friday mornings starting around 7:30, this group met in the Commons to share a little small talk.

The small gathering started as the idea of Pleasant Valley math teacher Nikki Pitcher, who wished to strengthen the relationships between teachers and students outside of the classroom.

The benefits of these relationships are not at all new ideas. A New York University report written by Emily Gallagher wrote, “Positive relationships with teachers are important in supporting higher levels of self-esteem, higher academic self-efficacy, and more confidence in future employment outcomes.

Gallagher continued, “Self-confidence and future aspirations have a significant impact on students’ interest in school, their academic self-efficacy and in turn, their academic achievement.”

While the concept is entirely worthwhile and sounds ideal for students to get to know some of their teachers, it has one small flaw on both ends: a low attendance. Last Friday, a small group of teachers occupied one large table and attempted to draw in passing students with donut holes.

But Pitcher’s simple yet amazing idea cannot be accomplished if simply no one shows up. It becomes the responsibility of the Pleasant Valley students and staff to encourage one another to make this event a Friday morning staple. Something as simple as changing the location you drink your morning coffee could make for a very interesting start to the day and could makes waves at PV.

Students have even been made aware of the event but remain a little skeptical. Sophomore Macey Mckinnon said, “I think having coffee with your teachers would be super fun and a great way to get to know them better, but I probably would only go if there were a higher attendance rate.”

It will take more teachers and students alike to turn this event from an exclusive group to an experience worthy of bonding over.