Find a job, earn the money

Abbey Hancock
A high schooler working at her job as a dance teacher.

Throughout the years, many students learn about how things are going to change when we are finished with high school. One of them being that at a point in our lives, we will need to start dealing with money. This has gotten many students to start thinking about why it is important to have a job in high school.

Having a job in high school can teach us a lot of different things like work ethic, how to save and spend, how to get along with coworkers, and sometimes even good interview skills. High school jobs are usually less intense than a real world job, but these skills will carry on throughout the careers we may have in life.

Lauren Steinhart, junior, is currently a server at Happy Joe’s. “Having a job in high school is really helpful in the long run. It can be stressful, but it is nice having the extra money.”

Work ethic is a crucial characteristic to have in order to be successful. Work ethic is defined as ‘a belief in the moral benefit and importance of work and its inherent ability to strengthen character’. By having a job in high school, you are getting a head start on having a good work ethic for more important future jobs.

Saving and spending is something that many people struggle with, especially when you wait to figure out the best way to save and spend for your lifestyle. If you have a job in high school, you learn early on what percentage of your paycheck you can save and spend. As you move on to other jobs and inquire a bigger salary, you will already have the skill down of what amount you should be saving whenever you earn a paycheck.

One of the most important skills you can obtain in life is learning to get along with others. This doesn’t just apply to having a job, but goes a long way in life. At some point, you will be required to work with someone you don’t necessarily have the same ways as and having a job early can give you the skill of learning to work with all different types of personalities.

Interviews are required at nearly every job you apply for. Sophomore year, you are required to participate in a mock interview. These mock interviews have the purpose of preparing students for what a real life interview would be like. After finishing the assignment, many students learn that going into an interview isn’t as intimidating as it may seem, and they are eager to find a suitable job to earn some extra money.

Kevin Gaffney, a sophomore English teacher, has been helping his students prepare for the mock interviews for years. “The mock interview gives sophomores, many of whom have never had a job interview before, the chance to see what an interview really will be like. Students can get practice with both answering commonly asked interview questions and presenting themselves in a professional way.”

Pleasant Valley High School does a very good job of helping us prepare for a job. Steinhart continued, “I think it’s important for students who have the time to apply for a job. It will look good on college applications and will also help you get prepared for the real world.”