Rivalry in the making

Bettendorf and Pleasant Valley have been rivals since the start. Bettendorf was founded in 1951, and Pleasant Valley was founded just 10 years after Bettendorf.

Pleasant Valley and Bettendorf school districts are only separated by 1.8 miles, making them natural rivals in the city of Bettendorf. Pleasant Valley sophomore, Wyatt Morgan says, “It’s always about bragging rights. Yeah, I may have friends on the other team but when we step on that field, we aren’t friends anymore.” Every time Pleasant Valley plays Bettendorf in any sport, the emotions are high and the crowd is excited. Everyone wants to “Smash those Spartans” or “Beat the Bulldogs.”

Each school seems to have their strengths and areas of weakness, which can certainly flip-flop on any given year. Most students would agree Bettendorf tends to be the consistent victor of wrestling, golf, volleyball and baseball while PV seems to dominate in track, cheer, choir and band. However, when it comes to sports like football and basketball, the rivalry is alive and well.

But only one team can come out on top and the losing team then vows not to let it happen next year. The schools compete with each other on every level, always trying to outdo each other. Bettendorf graduate of 1991, Ann Cook, explained, “It seems to be that there are more Pleasant Valley and Bettendorf friendships now than when I went to high school, but it also seems like their rivalry has grown stronger.” Cook had a son graduate last year and currently has a daughter who is a senior.

Not all groups see the relationship between the two schools as one of tension. Michael Guhin, senior, is active in the drama department at PV. He said, “As far as the drama department goes, it’s really friendly competition and we congratulate each other on our successes.” Still, when it comes to athletics, students seem to see the opposing school as their competitor rather than their comrade.

The rivalry has been here since the start of the two schools–and it doesn’t look to be packing up anytime soon. Both schools continue to look forward to their next match-up.