Club Spotlight:Rotary Club

Club Spotlight:Rotary Club

Senior sujay marisetty was one student chosen to be a representative from PV at Rotary Club meetings

Photo credit to Joel Kchappilly

Photo credit to Joel Kchappilly

Photo credit to Joel Kchappilly

Joel Kachappilly, Staff Contributor

The Iowa Quad-Cities chapter of the Rotary Club chooses two students from every high school in its district every month to take part in their Student of the Month program. However, while being selected for this program is an enourmous honor, there are many students who may not know what Rotary Club is and what they do.

The Rotary Club is an international organization that networks and connects people to give them an opportunity to learn from others and come together to make the world a better place through the ideas and solutions brought up at meetings. It is a very philanthropic and charitable club that has very good intentions. It is characterized perfectly by their motto: Service Above Self.

However, the club doesn’t simply take part in charity. They also get involved in their community and present opportunities to the younger generation to come to their meetings. The Student of the Month program is part of this effort to branch out to the youth and show them what Rotary club is all about.

There are many guidelines through which students are chosen for the Rotary Club program. Some of the qualities the students they select possess is a high GPA in high school. They are also usually involved in some activities and extracurriculars. The program is looking for students who are always striving to learn and grow, no matter what form of learning it is.

Sujay Marisetty, senior, was one of the students selected by the club for one month. In order to take part in the program, Marisetty had to go to an early morning meeting every Thursday at the club’s Quad City location at the Holiday Inn J Bar. He was excited to take part in the opportunity and said, “It’s a good way for people to get exposed to some of the ways in which our community tackles issues.”

The club is an opportunity for the students who are chosen to network and meet people who are using their knowledge and experience to make a difference in the world. Valerie Tucker, a counselor at Pleasant Valley High School, explained, “It’s just a really good way for students to network and meet people who are part of a very philanthropic organization.”