Why PV doesn’t use block schedule

Why PV doesn’t use block schedule

Senior Maya McClain carries many more books than senior Angela Pandit due to PV’s traditional schedule rather than block schedule.

Haley Moore

Haley Moore

Haley Moore

Haley Moore, Video Editor

PV is one of few schools left in the Quad Cities that does not use block schedule. Principal Mike Zimmer claims there are many reasons as to why PV chose the traditional schedule over the block schedule.

There are multiple types of block schedule: traditional block schedule, A/B block schedule and 4×4 block schedule. Most block schedules consist of longer period lasting around 90 minutes; however these classes may not be held every day and/or for the whole semester.

Traditional schedule usually consists of six to eight shorter class periods in which last about 45 minutes. In this schedule, students will take the same classes for the entire semester every day.

There is no evidence of a perfect schedule for a high school, but Principal Zimmer states that after 16 years of using it, he has found greater success with the traditional schedule. When describing the traditional schedule at PV, he stated, “at every measure on the board, students are knocking it out of the park.”

Zimmer has experienced both types of schedules due to his previous job being the principal of North Scott High School, who uses A/B block schedule. Block schedule is great for classes that require more time to complete projects or labs such as AP Chemistry, but it can be very difficult for teachers in other subjects to fill the time. It is especially difficult for those who teach beginner classes because the students do not have as much previous knowledge as they do in other classes.

Block schedule allows students to take a gap throughout the year for specific courses. For example if students took a math class first semester, but not second, they would be going at least seven months without learning and applying math skills. This gap gives students a large opportunity to forget information they have learned and prevent them from progressing forwards.

PV uses the traditional block schedule but allows extra time for those classes that need it. Principal Zimmer placed band during fifth hour so the students have time to set up/warm up and put away their instruments with plenty of time to play. Some of the construction classes work on an A/B schedule in order to allow for more time to finish projects. Zimmer works hard every year to manipulate the traditional schedule, so the students and staff at the high school are always able to make the most of their school day.

1 Comment

One Response to “Why PV doesn’t use block schedule”

1. Hunter Snyder on December 20th, 2018 10:30 am

I am personally a fan of regular pv scheduling because I like the short class periods and 7 periods a day.

• Why PV doesn’t use block schedule

PV News

New Seal of Bi-literacy for students

• Why PV doesn’t use block schedule

PV News

PV receives AP district honor roll

• Why PV doesn’t use block schedule

PV News

Where students aren’t allowed

• Why PV doesn’t use block schedule

PV News

Students are taking over, and teachers approve

• Why PV doesn’t use block schedule

PV News

Staff plays vital role in admin decision

• Why PV doesn’t use block schedule

PV News

Looking at the substitute teacher process

• Why PV doesn’t use block schedule

PV News

Saying hello to the many world languages

• Why PV doesn’t use block schedule

PV News

PV’s course guide gets an update

• Why PV doesn’t use block schedule

PV News

PV places importance on robotics program

• Why PV doesn’t use block schedule

PV News

Countless resources provided by the library

Why PV doesn’t use block schedule