How to relieve anxious feelings

Haley Moore
Junior Aabha Joshi meditating to relieve anxious feelings before her next class.

Many teenagers have anxious feelings throughout their high school years but are never diagnosed with anxiety or receive medication. What most aren’t aware of is that there are more ways to relieve oneself of anxious feelings without taking medication.

One may feel anxious when they are overly worried or nervous about something. In this case, they need something to calm them down. There are many natural remedies to relieve these anxious feelings that one may have.

Meditation is great way to relieve anxious feelings because it allows you to focus on yourself and nothing else. The goal of meditation is to release all thoughts inside one’s mind and find a calm, peaceful feeling. Cecilie Schieffer, a current senior, enjoys meditating in Mrs. Berger’s Psychology class because it makes her feel calm. She stated, “I meditate at home also because it allows me to feel calm.”

Releasing all thoughts from one’s mind is very difficult to achieve on the first try and takes practice; however there are other ways to find peace in a quicker manner.

A practice known as aromatherapy has proved to be helpful in curing anxiety. Aromatherapy is the use of essential oils to improve one’s quality of life. There are specific oils that work best for anxiety, and there are different ways people can use these oils.

Lavender oil is one of the best oils to use because it contains high amounts of linalyl acetate and linalool, two substances that are proven to heal anxiety and encourage relaxation. Bergamot, Chamomile and Rose oils are also great oils to improve one’s mood and allow them to relax.

The best method for using essential oils is simply a personal preference. A very popular way to use essential oils is through a diffuser so that one may inhale the oil’s vapor. There are bracelets and necklaces made out of lava beads so essential oils can seep into the beads. Essential oils can be used when taking a bath, which is another great way to relax.

Junior Jenna Riordan feels more relaxed after rubbing the oils on her skin and using them with a diffuser. She said, “essential oils are very relaxing and make me focus on the present. Using your senses and focusing on the present helps so much if you’re dealing with anxiety.”