Make room for the robots

Robots are making their ways into our homes, from advanced machines to self-propelled vacuum cleaners, robotic technology is now at our fingertips. How will this technology advance in a world that seems to change in the blink of an eye? The answer is very rapidly.

Robots are now being made to resemble humans–such robots are classified as humanoids. According to about-robots.com, “A humanoid is a robot that looks like a human, which means it has two feet, two arms and a head all linked to the trunk.” The robots are programmed to be very smart. Some people are afraid the robots are too smart and they will take over the universe. This does not look to be the case. There is no need to fear the human-like robot. Unlike humans, robots are programmed to be good at individual tasks; whether that be moving at speeds much greater than humans or computing numbers faster. However, since the robots excel in one field, and do not have the capability to learn in the ways the human brain is capable of learning, robots will not acquire the same intelligence as humans.

Robots are commonly replacing humans in factory settings, just as machines did years ago in a big technological boom we like to call the Industrial Revolution. An article entitled “Better than Human: Why Robots Will–And Must–Take Our Jobs” on wired.com says, “It may be hard to believe, but before the end of this century, 70 percent of today’s occupations will likewise be replaced by automation.” So what kind of career paths are expected to change as high-school students begin to join the workforce in the near future? Although robots are expected to take over factory-like jobs such as the way Amazon factories currently work, this can open up even more job opportunities in some ways. With more machines, people need to design, create, install, manage, and service the robotic systems.

The next question people argue over regarding robots is “Are they really necessary?” Miranda Metz, senior, states, “I think it’s bad. I feel like our whole world will turn into a world that is less social. People will lose their jobs if they’re replaced with robots.” In a world that is constantly evolving, it is inevitable at this point that technology will only continue to be innovated. The problem with many is the unknown such as how an advancement and change in technology will impact our lives. Just as in the Industrial Revolution, it may be a big change to the way society functions, but that is not always negative.

Although a future full of robots sounds a bit terrifying, advanced technology is part of the inevitable future that lies ahead of the world. Technology is only limiting if you allow it to be. In order to balance the invasion of robots into human’s daily lives, much more socialization and activity will need to occur in order to have needed human interaction. At least robots can’t take that away from our society.