The farewell tour

Seniors take on their last season of fall sports

Color-changing leaves, chilly air blowing through sweaters, and a steamy cup of coffee represent the beginnings of fall for most Pleasant Valley students. For other students, heated shoulder pads, 5:30 a.m. practices, and sliding on knee pads across the gym floor are a representation of students preparing for a two month competition season. Sometimes, complaining about the preparation this year’s meets or games can be easy, but one group of students won’t have to for much longer.

The 2017 seniors are cruising through the first two months of school; buying their caps and gowns for May, visiting and applying for potential colleges, and ending their high school fall sports careers. In lieu of the last season, many sports recognize their seniors for their hard work and dedication throughout their four years on a special night: senior night.

Most senior athletes have been a part of the Pleasant Valley Spartans for four years now, so recognizing them for their leadership and hard work is something underclassmen, parents, and coaches look forward to. Although their sport is going to be missed a lot, seniors tend to grieve the loss of a team, as well as leaving memories and friends behind. Emily Bruinsma, senior varsity swimmer, says, “Being a senior has made me appreciate things more this season because I know I’ll have to say goodbye to them.” Senior year is not only a time of happiness, but also sadness as seniors say farewell to their beloved teams. Bruinsma added, “Swimming means so much to me. I’ve made some of my best friends through it, and I know I can count on my teammates for anything.”

On and off the field, court, or pool, more than just how to win is taught to the athletes. C.J. Carter, senior varsity football player, says, “Football was my first love and this sport has taught me a lot about who I am and what it means to be a teammate.” From elementary school, students are told there is no ‘I’ in ‘team’ and are given opportunities time and time again in games of capture the flag, sharks and minos, and mat ball to work as a team to complete a task successfully or win. Being a high schooler and a senior causes students to realize the importance of the skills they are taught early on, as they do not only get them through four years of high school, but will carry them for a lifetime.

As hard as it may be, senior night is also underclassmen saying goodbye to their role models and friends. Tears might flow, gratitude will be given, and promises of keeping in touch will confirmed. While sports mean so much to the athletes, “senioritis” can make tears dry up just a little faster. Bruinsma says, “It’s very sad to think that my last season of high school swimming is almost over, but I’m excited to move on to the next part of my life.”

Fall sports may be coming to an end, but winter and spring sports haven’t even begun. Don’t worry, the seniors are still here for another seven months.Their farewell tour has only just begun.
Students may attend the football game this Friday, Oct. 21 to see the band perform its senior show and recognize the senior football players during their last home football game.