Boys and girls basketball celebrate senior night against rival Bettendorf

Boys’ Varsity seniors and their parents celebrating senior night, Wednesday February 6, 2019.

Addie Even

Addie Even

Addie Even

Jeremy Ramsey, Sports Editor

As the basketball season is reaching the playoffs, both the boys’ and girls’ varsity teams celebrated their senior night on Wednesday against hometown rival Bettendorf.

Due to the crazy weather and numerous rescheduled games over the last several weeks, both the boys and girls teams ended up having their senior night on the same night. This is not normally the case with senior night, however this joint celebration did not make it any less special. Senior members of both teams were recognized with their parents before the start of their respective games.

Girls’ varsity started the night off with a 44-32 victory, extending their undefeated record and clinching at least a share of the MAC title. The lady Spartans are now focused on punching a ticket to state. After winning the MAC we know we aren’t finished yet and now we just have to take it one game at a time like we have been all year.

After winning the MAC we know we aren’t finished yet and now we just have to take it one game at a time like we have been all year.”

— Anna Griffin

Senior Anna Griffin said, “After winning the MAC we know we aren’t finished yet and now we just have to take it one game at a time like we have been all year.”

After a victory to start the night, the boys’ varsity team looked to keep it rolling against a top-five ranked Bettendorf squad. After leading 13-12 at halftime, the PV Boys ended up falling short 42-36 in a hard fought match. Although their season did not quite pan out the way they were expecting, the boys are also looking to make a playoff run.

In the past senior night has traditionally been an opportunity for seniors who may not play as much to get a chance to experience varsity level play, possibly for the first time. Unfortunately this was not the case on Wednesday. Playing against hometown rival Bettendorf almost always guarantees a close game, and with playoff seedings on the line, most of the bench did not see any minutes.

Although some of these low minute players didn’t see the court as much on senior night, it didn’t seem to phase them. Garrett Massengale, senior and member of the boys basketball team, said, “It was a really cool atmosphere to be in and to have the largest crowd we’ve had all year, on senior night, was just amazing.” Massengale was more focused on the overall experience rather than his own playing time, as any good teammate should be.

The seniors of the boys and girls basketball teams have shown their leadership by being examples of great players and teammates. As the regular season is coming to an end they are looking to the future. Both teams are looking to punch a ticket to state after years of missing out on the tournament.

Maya McClain
​During the annual double header against hometown rival, Bettendorf, Carli Spelhaug scores another three point basket despite the hand in her face, solidifying the lead that PV held over their opponent on Dec 22, 2018.

Jeremy Ramsey, Sports Editor

Hello, my name is Jeremy Ramsey and I am one of the Sports Editors this semester. I am currently a senior and plan on attending Iowa State next year to...

Maya McClain, Photo Manager

My name is Maya McClain, I’m one of the Photography Managers. I enjoy spending my free time taking pictures in and out of school. You can usually find...