Navigating the political maze

Elizabeth Warren hosts her first event in the Quad Cities, a round table at the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds.

The election of a new president is about 600 days away, and 11 people have announced their candidacy so far. As residents of Iowa, a swing state, many current students at Pleasant Valley High School will have the ability to be largely involved in this presidential race with the senior and junior classes being eligible to vote in the 2020 election. 

Navigating the world of politics at times can be difficult. It becomes a lot easier, however, knowing how to obtain accurate information and how to get involved with a candidate with similar views.

Senior Caroline Christophersen has already been involved; she attended Elizabeth Warren’s round table at the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds on Feb. 10. Christophersen wants to be active in the next election and was excited to attend her first event locally. “It was so easy to get involved. I signed up through a Google form and then just showed up. I really enjoyed getting involved and hearing what Elizabeth had planned.” Caroline is also looking forward to seeing Kamala Harris this Sunday

It can be difficult to find out about a candidate’s platform, as well, with bias on the internet. Pleasant Valley’s AP government teacher, Sara Russell, said it’s very important to be sure the information you’re hearing about a candidate is accurate. “Always go to the candidate’s site. While the site will be biased towards them, it will have the most information on what they actually support,” she said.

Pleasant Valley students aren’t alone in their quest to be involved in politics. According to Tufts University youth voter turnout went up 10% from the 2014 midterm election to the 2018 midterm election. There are many ways students can be involved in the upcoming election, voters and nonvoters alike.

One option is to contact local legislators, the two Iowa senators: Joni Ernst (202-224-3254) and Chuck Grassley (202-224-3744). Contacting a local representatives is something anyone can do regardless of their age.

The last thing that can be done regardless of age, is to inform others about politics. Writing in a blog, school news paper, or even informing friends about certain political situations can help to bring awareness to important causes that are unique to each person.