Winter hurting summer plans

Students from PV go on a trip to France on June 15th, 2015.

Due to school cancellations as a result from weather, Pleasant Valley’s summer trips have been affected.

Over the last several months, the Quad Cities has suffered from a number of snow and ice storms that have caused schools to have many cancellations. The unusually large amount of snow days has affected Pleasant Valley’s school year schedule, as the last day of school has been changed to the seventh of June.

As a result of the date of the last day of school changing, many summer school trips that were planned in June have been affected. This includes the trips scheduled to go to France, Washington D.C., and Europe.

The France trip officially changed the date of the tour trip to June 16-June 27. This alteration changed plane tickets and tour dates for those who are going on the trip. Due to the smaller size of the group, about twenty people, they were easily able to make these changes.

Melissa Lechtenberg, a French instructor at PV, shared her opinion on the adjustments made on the trip. “I definitely think that it was good idea to push the trip back a few days in case of more unpredictable snow days,” she said. Even though the administration is trying to have the last day of school be on the seventh of June, the date being pushed back allows space if there are more snow days to make up.

Alexandria Medenciy, an art teacher at PV, commented on the dates being pushed back for the France trip. “I believe that making this move is a good decision as we do not know what the rest of February and March may bring,” she said.

However, a different summer trip in the Pleasant Valley district wasn’t able to adjust the dates of its trip. The Washington D.C. trip for PVJH students is still scheduled for June 6 to June 12. The students that are going on the trip will be missing half of school on June 6 and all of June 7.

The reasoning behind why the trip is unable to push the dates of the trip back was explained by Sarah Kraklio, a trip sponsor for PVJH. “If we were to move the trip back, it would result in losing almost all of our reservations at the different museums, hotels, and attractions that come with the cost of the trip,” she said.

The Europe trip also faced some difficulties with changing the dates of the trip. Instead of going on the trip on June 6 as scheduled, they are now leaving on June 16. This adjustment pushed the trip back 10 days, forcing the group to fix all plane tickets and tours planned.

The number of snow days have ultimately affected the many schedules set in place in the Pleasant Valley School District. These summer trips now have been officially set and will not be changed until further notice.