Club Spotlight: Computer Science Club

Alexander Haack
Computer Science Club poster found in a Pleasant Valley High School hallway.

The Computer Science Club is a new club at Pleasant Valley looking to amplify students’ love for programming and working with computers. It strives to do this by providing a friendly atmosphere for consultation and coding.

Junior Dilan Nair started this club hoping to bring together students with interests in coding, saying “I’m definitely passionate about computer science and want to help others who are interested in learning or improving their current skills to make interesting apps and have fun.” With a boom in available careers in STEM-oriented fields, it was only a matter of time before a computer science club was implemented at PVHS.

Nair is in his first year at PVHS, so this gives him an outlet to work on his passion with his friends. The club averaged 10-15 participants at its first two meetings and consisted mainly of students coding their own projects and helping each other out with problems they ran into.

Although the club is very new, Nair has plans for the future, specifically, making the club more group oriented and immersive. “As time progresses, we’re going to make big programs as a group and do problem-solving and algorithmic programming,” he said. This will help members get better at working through problems as a team and help prepare them for larger projects in college and later in life.

Students enjoy the club and the possibilities of learning and improving skills with their friends. Junior club member Darsh Balani said the club “is fun, and if you’re interested in technology, you should join.” Computer Science Club gives students a chance to work on coding projects and experiment with computers without being graded or having assignments, which may encourage potential members to participate.

Computer Science Club meets every Monday at 3:30 in the computer lab on the first floor of the high school (room 173). This club is a great opportunity for students who are looking for a place to improve their coding skills or meet other students passionate about computers. Interested students can visit the club’s website at bit.ly/pvcsclub to sign up and get more information.