Why coach PV?

Pleasant Valley High School has had many coaches come and go. In the last four years, we have acquired new coaches in almost every sport; this is due to positions opening and student numbers rising. Of course, some coaches leave because of new opportunities or changes in their lives, but what brings coaches to PVHS?

There are qualities that make Pleasant Valley stand out among the other schools. Academics and extra/co-curriculars make PV what it is, but does the singularity of our athletics also play a role? “I picked PV swimming because the boys have a strong reputation for being not only good athletes, but good people,” boys’ swim coach Stacey Zapolski says, “They are well-rounded and competitive.” According to Zapolski, PV was appealing to her because of its reputation for sportsmanship and respect. Many of our student athletes are active in activities outside of sports. The PV band has at least one student from every sport offered at the school. Athletes are also active in student council and many other co and extracurricular activities and organizations. PVHS athletes are very active.
There have been concerns from some students that the new coaches will have short stays here at PV. Baseball coach Bill Sandry explains, “I took the opportunity to help the community I live in by coaching. I am committed and watch the culture of PV baseball change for the better.” Like Sandry, several of the newer coaches feel a commitment towards the school and the athletes. Will the positivity bring progress to our already growing athletics programs?