What the future holds for Planned Parenthood

Senior student, Adrea Arthofer, looks at articles in question of what is happening to Planned Parenthood.

Maya McClain

Maya McClain

Maya McClain

Azariah Courtney, Editor-in-Chief

The Pro-Choice versus Pro-Life debate has been ongoing for quite some time; recently, Trump’s administration has made steps to defund Planned Parenthood. This action will have serious repercussions, reaching further than just abortions.

A New York Times article said, “The Trump administration announced on Friday that it will bar organizations that provide abortion referrals from receiving federal family planning money, a step that could strip millions of dollars from Planned Parenthood and direct it toward religiously-based, anti-abortion groups.”

With the new charges that Trump plans to put in place, Planned Parenthood will no longer be able to receive any Title X family planning funds unless their clinics are completely-financially and physically- separated from any providers of abortion.

However, these charges go further than stopping abortions.Although they are able to discuss abortions with them, clinics can no longer disclose to their patients as to where they can get an abortion. Additionally, more of the programs regarding pregnancy prevention are being transitioned to emphasize overall abstinence instead of contraception.

Planned Parenthood services extend to both men and women. Some of these services include sexually transmitted disease testing, pregnancy testing, sexual dysfunction, and a wide array of contraception.

Pleasant Valley junior Carly Lundry feels the defunding of Planned Parenthood could be disastrous to some. Lundry said, “Defunding planned parenthood will impact so many mothers because some have no other accessible health care.”

In fact, many medical associations have vocalized their concerns for low-income women. Consequently, some clinics may be forced to reduce services or shut down completely if they are not receiving the correct amount of money.

“This decision will result in young girls not being educated about having children and not having affordable health care for young and struggling mothers,” Lundry said. “This is only setting up for a future full of struggle and deprivation.”

If these charges are put in place, it will go beyond coinciding of the beliefs of those who are Pr0-Life. Psychology and English teacher, Ann Berger, feels strongly about this issue.

Planned Parenthood educates about sexual reproduction by offering accurate and up-to-date information, not just scare tactics that do very little to keep people sexually, mentally, and psychologically healthy,” Berger stated. “ If we are a country that truly embraces the family and every child, we would ensure each of its citizens would have access to education, treatments, birth control, and choice over reproductive decisions.”

Azariah Courtney, Editor in Chief

Hi, I’m Azariah Courtney and I am the Editor in Chief of the Spartan Shield Online! This year will exciting to read my peers’ work, and write my own,...

Maya McClain, Photo Manager

My name is Maya McClain, I’m one of the Photography Managers. I enjoy spending my free time taking pictures in and out of school. You can usually find...