PV students speaking out

Bill Myatt
The Spartan Speech team poses together after their competition on Feb. 23.

When it comes to public speaking, most people tend to shy away from speaking in front of a crowd. Just the thought of speaking in front of a crowd brings the clammy hands and rapid heart beat; however, this isn’t the case for the 15 students from PV who entered the speech competition.

On Feb. 23 at the district Iowa High School Speech Association, 15 people from PV entered 19 events, and the team left with 17 division I rankings and two division II’s. The Iowa High School Speech Association divides Iowa into four quarters, and each quarter is divided into three to four districts.  

All 15 competitors went into the competition without any fear. The competitors prepared by practicing their speeches to get ready, along with practicing their speeches one on one with theater teacher and public speaking teacher, William Myatt. “They would practice on their own and with me. Some of them were or are students in Public Speaking that I convinced to give speech a try,” Myatt said.

Senior Ada Duncan participated in the competition with an “after dinner” speech and received a division I ranking. “The competition was so much fun to be apart of. I prepared my speech by practicing over and over and over again to the point where when I was presenting it, [the speech] was like second nature,” said Duncan.

There were many other categories for people to participate in such as solo improv, poetry, spontaneous speaking, acting, storytelling, solo musical theatre, radio news, and public address. Some of the competitors entered into two of the listed categories, and they all did a superb job in their category by earning a division I or II rank.

The next performance will be The Spartan Showcase, individual events will take place in the Black Box on Tuesday, March 5 at 7pm.  All events, regardless of rating, and some additional solo musical theatre folks will perform during this event.

“Additional if at least two of the three judges at state think the performer is one of the best speakers they heard throughout the entire day, they can be recognized as an All-State performer and qualify to perform at The University of Northern Iowa on April 1,” said Myatt. It will be very important for the students competing to perform well on their next speech

The Division I speakers from all the districts in the southeast quarter of the state will compete at  North Scott. The other three-fourths of the state will go to Nevada HS (Southwest quarter), Woodbury Central – Moville (Northwest), and Waldorf University – Forest City (Northeast) respectively.  The All-State competition brings together the best of the best from all four quarters to compete together in Cedar Falls.

Students who earned a I at districts have qualified for the state competition on March 9 at North Scott. So be sure to wish all those competing at the upcoming state competition good luck.