Using sports to enhance the high school experience

Addie Even
Spartan athlete Creighton Clausen and the boys’ varsity basketball team getting ready before a big game.

In high school, there are many opportunities for students to express themselves, one of which is becoming involved in sports. Being apart of athletics has a positive impact on students’ overall experience in high school.

High school students are always forced to succumb to the countless expectations in the classroom. This pressure to succeed academically often overwhelms them and unfortunately, the students don’t have a passion for all the classes they are taking. Sports allow students an opportunity to put their efforts and motivation into something they love.

Growing up, students learn a lot in school, both academically and socially. While most time spent in the classroom revolves around individual success, sports teach the great life lesson of teamwork. Even though working in groups in the classroom has become fairly common, it is no match for the team dynamics needed to excel in sports. Without high school sports, many kids would not have learned the importance of collectively working to achieve a goal.

Furthermore, sports foster camaraderie among teammates. Finding commonality in something people love is what brings them together. The powerful connection between people and their idea to strive for the same thing creates a beautiful bond between teammates; something that could immensely improve their overall happiness and help with stress.

Creighton Clausen, four year member of the boys’ basketball team, had some positive things to say about his time in athletics. “The PV basketball program played a big role in shaping me into the person I am now. I was able to meet some of my best friends and create some unforgettable memories.”

Sometimes going to practice and competing in games are the only things students can look forward to. Varsity football player Jared Wiley explained how being in a sport was an important part of his life. “Football helped me get through the rough days at school because it gave me something to look forward to that I enjoyed.”

Being involved in a sport can act as a release mechanism for all of the school induced stress. When people are able to participate in an activity they love, it can help them get through the day. When thinking about ways to enhance the high school experience, consider sports. They will build relationships and give an opportunity to put effort into a passion.