Whistle while you work

Pleasant Valley students use music to slow the madness
Photo taken by Lilly Parker
Freshmen Alissa Pandit and Aayusha Adhikari search for music to listen to in order to wind down after a long school day

Music is an essential cornerstone of life at Pleasant Valley. Students constantly have earbuds in to de-stress and soak up every last song they can during busy days.

Music is popular among students because it allows them to relax and maintain focus on their work.  Studies have shown that music, when listened to regularly, grants therapeutic benefits. Freshman Lila Teitle completed a service and research project regarding the relationship between the brain and music as a part of her Bat Mitzvah.

For the research, she interviewed a doctor who works in Iowa City and specializes in music therapy. The doctor gave Teitle many insights into how music aids a patient’s recovery, and this experience reinforced her desire to study neurology in the future.“Music can be very beneficial to anyone with an injury or illness due to the psychological effects and its calming properties,” Teitle said.

Whether someone has an injury or not, music works to improve their mood and mental well-being. For example, the service aspect of Teitle’s project involved playing her violin for senior citizens who live at The Fountains Retirement Community. The music allowed her to emotionally connect with her audience. After her performance, many told her “to keep playing” and that “the music had really helped make their day better.”

People do not have to be in a live audience to be affected by music. Many people, such as senior Alana Woolison, rely on Spotify or YouTube to discover new and inspiring music. Woolison enjoys listening to songs that help her gain perspective and see outside of her current situation. “I love music that makes me feel like I’m in the story that is being told,” she said.

Woolison has personally noticed the positive effects music has on her mental health and her mood. “Music is a staple in my life, and there is always a song stuck in my head,” she said. Senior Noah Meyer also agrees that the music he listens to gives him the motivation to focus and ability to relax while completing important tasks. “Music helps me get through anything,” he said.

Due to the constantly evolving and demanding nature of high school courses,  music serves as a way for students to express their feelings and learn valuable lessons through the lyrics they hear. By incorporating music into one’s life and sharing it with others, everyone has the potential to improve their mental health with music.