Weighing in on the changes in lifting

Brenner Stickney
Many student athletes can be found working hard here in the lifting room.

A change has come to advanced lifting at Pleasant Valley. Each class is split into three teams with each doing different workouts designed by different coaches.

The way that advanced lifting, the third level of PV’s strength and conditioning programs, works is by splitting into two different sections. The two sections consist of in season athletes and out of season athletes. In season is for students who are currently participating in a sport, so the workouts are less demanding. Their lifts are also customized for training to their particular sport.

Out of season is for students wanting to get stronger and stay in shape during their off season. The workouts are the same for everyone because they work different muscle groups to improve every athlete, no matter the sport. These workouts are designed by coach Ryan Arnold, but near the end of third quarter, Arnold changed how the class would continue to work.

Along with Arnold, there are three other coaches who help with workouts; Brett Ahlgren, Caleb Robinson, and Cameron Taylor. Arnold wanted to give a chance for other coaches to design their own work outs, so the class was split into three separate teams. Each coach created a warm up, workout and recovery for their assigned team to try.

There was another goal behind dividing the class. “We wanted to create more of a team environment,” said Ahlgren. “We are hoping this environment will help push kids.” This competitive setting has also brought out more during games. On some Fridays the coaches’ teams will play each other in fitness games with losers having fitness punishment such as push ups or running laps.

Because the coaches are competing as well, trying to get their team to win the most games, they push the students in their workouts. With smaller isolated groups, the coaches Also have the opportunity to work on a more individual basis to help each student reach their goals. The change is not something that the students are used to. “I think it is better but also harder.” said senior, Jacob Bandy, “The games on Fridays are fun.”

However, not every student thinks the change is good. Senior Maya McClain, said, “I think it’s stupid because of the ways that the groups are split up. We used to be able to lift with friends and now friends are in different groups. The games are also unfair because some groups have 15 guys where my group is half girls.”

The change has not gone on long enough to see the benefits or failures, but the coaches are hopeful to see success in the future.