Going the extra mile for love

Pleasant Valley students experience long distance relationships

As approximately 300 seniors graduate and another 300 take their places every year, it is inevitable that a fraction of them will experience long distance relationships to some extent. In other cases, Pleasant Valley students experience long distance relationships due to different schools or hometowns. Whatever the situation, Pleasant Valley is home to several couples, local and far.

As many students can relate, relationships take time, commitment, love, and patience. There is a mutual bond that must be present. Once the distance factor is thrown into the mix, it is common to have to work at these four components just a little harder. However, 21st century technology, aka the cell phone, has been known to be a lifesaver for students. iPhones provide FaceTime, and other smartphones provide access to apps such as Skype and ooVoo. This increases “face-to-face” communication for the couple.

Love can be tested as distance grows further, but Reagan Putnam, senior, explains her relationship with her distant boyfriend, “I’ve been dating Bryce for a little over a year now. We have become super close over the last year, so when he went to college 6 hours away, it was tough. But we are strong enough to try and make it work, and so far, it hasn’t been too bad.”

As it may seem like everybody in a relationship has a perfect life, the ones in the relationship, especially the distant ones, know it isn’t always perfect. In fact, it can be quite a challenge. Putnam states her thoughts on keeping her relationship lively, “The hardest part is finding time throughout the day to talk to each other. To make things work, you must trust each other and know that things are only as good as you make them.”

Like Putnam, those in a long distance relationship know the commitment it requires. It is most likely true you have been shunned for trying to be in your distant relationship. However, research done by Cornell University in 2013 has been shown to contradict the “long distance relationships never last” motto. “For couples who live apart, communication is paramount to building intimacy. They may not interact as often as those who live in close proximity, yet when they do communicate, it can be more meaningful,” according to Melissa Hugel from Mic Network Inc.

Because several Pleasant Valley students experience relationships, and a handful of them are long distant, many of them are aware of what it takes to be in a relationship. Ultimately, it is up to the couple to decide what is best for them and their futures. It’s a matter of knowing yourself, your significant other, and how you two work together. Regardless, things always fall into place as they should.

$580
$1000