People prepare their baskets for May Day as the 1st of May approaches

Photo taken by Extremis via Pixabay
In celebration of May Day, young children dance around the maypole with brightly colored ribbons attached.

Imagine walking into a home with an overwhelming smell of cookies and pies fresh out of the oven. This day, May 1st, marks a day of celebration as flowers begin to bloom and the grass becomes greener.

May Day, a celebration of the return of spring, is widely celebrated in Europe and in the United States on May 1st. It is a celebration of the seasons changing and of workers’ rights.

This day of celebration originated from ancient agricultural rituals, which included those of the Greeks and the Romans. It first appeared with the Floralia, the festival of Flora, who was the Roman goddess of flowers. This day was used to mark the beginning of summer.

PV senior Libby Staver recalled her childhood memories of celebrating May Day. “[My family] would fill little cups full of candy and toys and set them on our neighbors’ porches, and then ding dong ditch them. My mother said that was the only time of the year that we were allowed to ding dong ditch people,” she said.  

As Europe became more westernized, the traditions of the day changed to dancing around the maypole in a circle with brightly colored ribbons and the crowning of the Queen of May.

Staver elaborated on the importance this holiday has. “It was important to us because it brought the neighborhood together; we had fun doing it to each other. Even when my neighbors moved away, we still went to their house and did it,” she said.

In the modern day, people collect flowers, candies, and baked goods and put them in May baskets to hang on the doors of neighbors, friends, and loved ones. However, the popularity of this traditional day of celebration has died down since entering the 20th century.

Though this traditional holiday is celebrated more in Europe, people in the United States still celebrate this wondrous holiday sometimes. In Hawaii, May Day is instead called “Lei Day”, and the people receive prizes for wearing the most beautiful handmade leis.

As previously mentioned, the 1st of May is also celebrated as International Workers’ Day. This day was chosen by workers in the 1800s who were all fighting for the right to work no more than 8 hours a day. This day was chosen as a time to protest in favor for shorter work days.

This day of celebration brings together neighbors, family, and loved ones all together in cheers of the new season.