How the community gets involved with RAP

This+picture+shows+some+of+the+activities+available+at+RAP.+Pictured+is+the+human+soccer+ball+inflatables+and+a+slide.%0D%0A
Back to Article
Back to Article

How the community gets involved with RAP

This picture shows some of the activities available at RAP. Pictured is the human soccer ball inflatables and a slide.

This picture shows some of the activities available at RAP. Pictured is the human soccer ball inflatables and a slide.

Photo taken by Stacey Ryan

This picture shows some of the activities available at RAP. Pictured is the human soccer ball inflatables and a slide.

Photo taken by Stacey Ryan

Photo taken by Stacey Ryan

This picture shows some of the activities available at RAP. Pictured is the human soccer ball inflatables and a slide.

Kaitlyn Ryan, Student life editor

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






After dancing in a crowded room for a few hours, upperclassmen are relieved to take off their uncomfortable prom clothes. However, the fun does not have to stop once the actual dance is over; students have the option to attend Right After Prom, better known as RAP.

RAP offers a space for students to be with their friends after the first half of the evening is over. “It is a place where students can all come together to keep the celebration going once the dance has ended and be in a safe environment,” Kristin Wehrman, the PTA president, said.

The PTA, school district, and many community members see the value of offering a secure place to go to students. Since the event relies so heavily on community involvement, it is imperative for parents to support it. This event requires both volunteers and financial donations to be successful.

95 percent of the funding for RAP comes from the community. The PTA contacts businesses, parents, and trust funds. For example, the event has benefitted from the Bechtel Trust, a local trust created by Richard Bittner. Ticket sales account for the other 5 percent of the funds put towards RAP.

Arranging all of these donations takes significant time; the PTA begins planning and sending donation requests at the beginning of the school year. By contrast, preparing for the prom dance begins around spring break. “Prom is very simple,” Samantha Riley, a member of the planning committee, said. “We just pick the theme and then plan [the decorations] around it.”

While prom is a straightforward event to plan, RAP is more involved due to the sheer number of people and items to coordinate.

Paula Wakeland who works at the Maintenance Center reserves the building and other materials such as tables, chairs, and electrical cords. The Scott County Sheriff Department donates their time to provide free security for the event. The PTA also schedules a wide variety of entertainment including caricature artists, a hypnotist, photo booth, DJ, and inflatable obstacle courses.

Of course, the event would not be possible without the 75 parent volunteers. “These are volunteers who also see the value in an event like this and want to provide their assistance to us,” Wehrman said. The volunteers are vital to RAP; the reason there is no bag check at prom is because the parents are preoccupied with getting everything for RAP into position.

This exciting event is a welcoming and engaging place for students to go after the dance is over. Thanks to the contributions of the parents and community, RAP is sure to be an experience students will not want to miss.