Celebrating Pleasant Valley Teachers

Azariah Courtney
Student Maya McClain hands teacher, Maureen Dyer, flowers for teacher appreciation week.

The first full week of May marks Teacher Appreciation Week. Pleasant Valley Students have compiled a list of teachers around the school that have made a mark in their lives.

Mr. Baxter: “He cares about his students, and he makes choir fun for everyone. He also makes us feel like we are important no matter how big of a group we are in,” said Olivia Reddish.

Mr. Meyers: “He cares about his students and is really nice. He always asks me how my day is even when I least expect it which really make my day,” said Muskan Basnet.

Mrs. Spelhaug: “She leads a relaxed classroom but also allows me to learn really easily. She creates a good learning environment by making you feel cared for,” said Emmie Peters.

Ms Risius: “Senorita brightens up my day and makes Spanish a fun subject for everyone,” said Morgan Sorensen.

Mrs Lechtenberg: “She is so understanding and cares about having relationships with her students while working to make things fun while learning,” said Grace Halupnik.

Mrs. Bildner: “Although Chemistry can be a difficult class, she makes it seem more fun and knows how to explain things well, but she doesn’t get annoyed when I want to ask more questions and dig deeper in class,” said Christina Li.

Mrs. Buchter: “She makes class a personal experience and really tries to make every student feel welcomed,” said Hayden Guenzler.

Mr Myatt: “He is very creative and helps me have opportunities where I can explore different things. He also helps me grow in theatre and in my life,” said Roger Pavey.

Mr. Youngbauer: “He cares a lot about all of his students, and wants to listen to what they have. to say,” TJ Brown.

Mr. Spangenberg: “He explains all material very well and is very approachable. I am never scared to ask a question because I know he is supportive and wants me to learn,” said Aabha Joshi.

Mrs. Holland: “Mrs. Holland is by far one of my favorite teachers I’ve had over these four years. Her teaching style keeps me involved in the class and I show up ready to actually learn. The way she teaches makes lectures almost feel like she’s just talking to you as if we all are a group of friends,” said Carter Hoskins.

Mr. Gaffney: “Mr. Gaffney is very knowledgeable about what he teaches, he’s good at making class fun and is very helpful when students are struggling,” said Ava Sorgenfrey.

Mr. Gartner: “He is someone I’ve known since 6th grade, and I enjoy being around him. He can make anyone happy by just being in his presence,” said Cade Collier.

Mrs. Dyer: “I appreciate Mrs. Dyer because she is always there to brighten my day. She knows how to teach teenagers, and she understands us. That really shows and it is really nice to see because not a lot of teachers are like that,” Chloe Greig said.

Mr. Sacco: “Sacco has always been there for me through running and school. He always pushes me to be my best self in everything I do. He’s more than a teacher he’s also a best friend,” said Lauren Buechel.

Mr. Fry: “Mr. Fry can be quite hard on his students, but he pushes them to where he knows that they can achieve. He always makes sure that his classroom is never boring and allows his students to form their own opinions,” said Delaney Riley.

Mr. Clark: “He’s my favorite teacher because he’s really nice, and he always asks about the sports you’re in and cares a lot about his class,” said Sara Hoskins.

Mr. Belby: “Mr. Belby is really good at encouraging his students. he always makes sure to hype you up when you get a problem right and is really encouraging and wants to make sure you succeed,” said Lauren Groenenboom.  

Mr. Housman: “I appreciate Mr. Housman because he taught me a lot about engineering and it’s possibilities, which has led me to want to pursue an engineering degree,” said Jacob Bandy.

Coach Arnold: “Coach Arnold has been a great teacher and friend throughout high school. He has taught me how to work hard, and he puts in so much time so that every athlete can have success,” said Creighton Clausen.

Mr. Hult: “Mr. Hult has a very entertaining sense of humor that makes his lectures interesting and engages his students,” said Mason Barnes.

Mrs. Russell: “Mrs. Russell really tries to make lessons fun and gives us lots of freedom in the classroom, while still covering all the topics,” said Ashley Lindquist.

Mrs. Pischke: “I love her style of teaching and the way she gives us opportunities to learn on our own rather than copying down everything she tells us,” said Uma Kasichainula

Mrs. Levora: “Mrs. Levora makes learning fun because of the way she teaches. She shares and helps to mold the passion that her students have for literature. It is really nice to have a teacher that gets so excited about what she is teaching,” said Erica Heiselman.

Mr. Medd: “He relates to and makes his students comfortable. He is able to teach effectively, but also have a good time,” said Nico Moralez.

Mr. Miller: “Mr. Miller always has a positive attitude. You can tell he truly cares about the Earth and his students,” said Addie Even.

Mr. Kohn: “Mr. Kohn really inspires me to work hard everyday. Everybody has that person that motivates them to go throughout their day and Mr. Kohn is that guy,” said Max Broussalian.

Mrs. Berger: “She pushes you as a student to be your best. She teaches you to learn, not just for a test. Most importantly, she cares about her students and wants them to succeed, not just in the present but in the future. She also is a great listener, so if you need someone to talk to and get sound advice, her door is always open,” said Anna Griffin.