A day in the life of a teacher

As high school students, the average day consists of school, activities, and homework. Repeated, seeing the same teachers everyday and reporting to the same class around the same time. But have you ever wondered what a teacher’s day is like? What the average Tuesday is like for the people who impact these student’s lives? While every teacher is different, Choir Director, Mr. Williams, tells how his day usually goes.

“My day starts with some sort of morning rehearsal at 7:30am for All-state/Opus.

First period is Music Theory every day second semester and lessons first semester.

Second period is either individual voice lessons or teacher prep time to check emails, grade assignments, enter grades, or handle administrative duties. Prep only happens once per day and rotates between second and fourth period.

Third period is Concert Choir every day.

Fourth period is either chamber choir sectional/all-state quartet rehearsal time, lessons, prep (depending on the day) or Men’s Choir rehearsal which is second semester only.

Fifth period is lessons, Professional Learning Community meetings (Monday’s and Friday’s), and a 20 minute duty-free lunch (my only moment to breathe all day…)

Sixth period is either Pleasant Valley Singers sectionals, or lessons.

Seventh period is lessons every day.

Eighth period is either All-State rehearsals, Opus rehearsals, and/or lessons. I also supervise an eighth period resource.

After school is musical rehearsal from 4-6:30 Monday through Thursday.

All-State rehearsal from 7-9pm on Mondays

or Jazz Choir 5-7:30pm (M,T,W,Th depending on student schedules after the musical). ”

Looking at another perspective, Mrs. Brodersen, a French teacher at PV, has a very different schedule.

” I wake up around 4:45am and then go to the gym.

Between 6-7am I get ready, take care of Grady and get him ready for daycare.

730/745 – Arrive at work. Prepare for day

1st and 2nd periods are French 2

Period 3- Prep- plan with other French teachers / grade

Period 4- French 2

Period 5- French 1

C lunch- eat with world language dept/grade

Period 6- French 2

Period 7- French 4

Period 8 – Resource- help students-sometimes grade/plan

After school I leave to pick up son from daycare

445 – Arrive home- feed Grady put down for a mini nap.

I then start dinner, my family and I eat and then clean up dinner & other chores

After dinner I give Grady a bath, get him ready for bed, with a bedtime story.

Once he goes to bed I get things ready for next day, finish any chores and grading

I then get ready for bed myself.

3am-345- Usually the time Grady wakes up.”

While teachers may have different schedules than students, both live very hectic lives. English teacher, Mr. Hoty, has found this to be very true. Finding a spare time in his day can be hard, but keeping his schedule packed is what he loves.

“I usually arrive between 7:15 and 7:30am to get my classroom up and running; cueing up the technology and reviewing any notes I may have regarding the day’s lesson plans.

I am very fortunate that I get to begin each day with two back-to-back AP Lit classes, it really gets the brain crackling before transitioning to College Writing. I have an outstanding group of Juniors this semester!

Fourth and fifth periods are spent with English 9, then I get to have my lunch in the company of the smartest people I know: the English Department.

I use my sixth period prep to get caught up on grading essays and to reflect on the day’s lessons so far.

When eighth period finally rolls around, I kick back with my Freshman resource kids and get them talking about their day while helping them out with some homework.

By 3:45pm I am shutting down, packing up, and anxious to start again tomorrow.”

At Pleasant Valley the teachers make sure to make time for their students during the day, instead of putting themselves first. Having teachers there to help, and become close with makes high school an even better experience and fosters better academic success overall. Getting an insight on these teachers’ lives can make students appreciate the great staff PV provides.