Staying musical over the summer

Staying musical over the summer

Amy Oberheart and her “core” group at the Boston Conservatory summer program

Laura Duncan

Laura Duncan

Laura Duncan

Morgan McCartney, Business Manager

Over the summer, students have been kept busy with their numerous activities. Whether they were involved in cross country, football, tennis, or dance, activities also extend into the musical realm. Drama students Amy Oberheart and Anna Myatt fully immersed themselves in musical theater camps this summer.

Oberheart has been involved in musical theater since she was nine years old. She applied for a high selective three week summer program at the Boston Conservatory and was one of 45 students accepted. Each day, students from across the country joined together to take classes focused on Shakespeare, the Sanford Meisner technique, and numerous singing, dancing and acting electives. 

Amy Oberheart was thrilled to have been able to take such amazing classes through the program. In describing her experience, she said, “I learned so much on the acting side of theater. It was such an amazing opportunity and I would recommend it to anyone.”

With musical talent in her blood, Myatt has also thrived in the musical theater world and has always taken the opportunity to practice what she loves. While attending the International Thespian Festival in late June, Myatt participated in acting, dance and vocal workshops. She auditioned for multiple colleges and learned about the value of musical theater. 

Myatt believes that this camp was beneficial to her success because “I want to pursue musical theatre as a career and this camp helped me learn a lot about my major for college. It gave me the opportunity to improve myself as an actress.” 

Like many other student summer programs, the Boston Conservatory’s mission is, “[To] prepare and inspire our students to perform at the highest level in their art and in their lives. We foster their creativity and give them courage. We teach them the skills that will lead to professional and personal fulfillment.” 

Their statement not only speaks to students in theater but also to any other student that participates in summer activities. Camps like these can encourage students to stay present over break and make sure  their summer is worth remembering.