Bettendorf shooting case over

The investigation of homicide for the shooting at a gas station in Bettendorf is deemed to be over with the shooter taking his own life while on the road driving through Nebraska.

Reported by the Quad City Times, Manuel Rangel held up the Big Ten Mart in Bettendorf and ended up killing the store clerk, Brittany Wilson. After carrying out the shooting, Rangel headed toward West Davenport and was reported missing while driving 2016 Chevy Cruze. His brother had reported Rangel to the police and had informed them that he was suicidal. 

On August 18th, Rangel was found dead by Nebraska State Patrol. He had shot himself with the same weapon used in the robbery the day before. Police were alerted that Rangel was in Nebraska, but when they found his car pulled over on the highway, it was too late. 

Police say that being on the run was not Rangel’s only reason for taking his own life. The Quad City Times says, “He had been depressed the last few months and was upset because he couldn’t keep his dog at his parents’ house at the request of the landlord, his brother told officers.” Rangel stole his dog back from the kennel it was boarded at, and proceed to carry out the shooting.  

Shootings like this also have an effect on the people who live close to the scene. A resident of the nearby neighborhood Jimmy Feeny said, “I feel safer knowing he’s no longer a threat, but still not completely comfortable knowing this type of violence is so close to my house.” Even though this particular individual can no longer cause harm, there still could be violent activity in the Quad Cities. 

$580
$1000