Writing club provides encouraging environment for students

Taylor English
A student begins working on a new story.

At a school full of established clubs and teams, a small group of students began working to bring their writer’s club to the attention of the student body and bring the benefits of creative writing to a larger group.

Students attend the meetings for the opportunity to write creatively, get peer feedback and spend time with others who share their passion for writing. Three to five students are usually in attendance, but the current participants are hoping to create a larger community of creative thinkers. More students would mean more feedback and a greater diversity of ideas.

The meetings consist mostly of writing, providing participants with a creative way to express their thoughts and improve their thinking. Senior and prominent writing club member Megan Ripple has experienced growth from attending. “It has helped me to develop my creative skills by talking about them with a community,” she said.

This community within the club is important to supervising teacher Lynn Lundberg. She views the atmosphere that has been created as an encouraging place for students to write. “Feedback is positive and supportive; people know that others are interested in reading their writing.” Those who attend get to share their creations with an audience in a safe environment and know that others appreciate their work.

This club is far from exclusive and requires no commitment. Their meeting times are often in the daily announcements, and anyone is welcome to attend. Those interested could also find more information with Lundberg, Ripple or other current members. Lundberg sees these meetings as the solution for those struggling to find the time to write. “This one hour we’ll write as a way to make it happen,” she said.

There are many students hoping to travel down a career path involving writing. While writing in class does occur, students are infrequently encouraged to do so creatively. Lundberg believes this club is the place for students who want to write more often. “If you ́ve thought you could be a writer, this is a way to become a writer; it’s good to have a group of people who will be supportive and hear your ideas,” she said.