Why the printing fee needs to be changed

Jacob Parker
Jacob Parker looks through his wallet to pay for what he has printed.

Printing at the Pleasant Valley High School has cost $0.10 per page, and it’s unfair for students who are forced to pay for something required by some of their classes.

The printing fee of $0.10 per page itself is not a hefty sum, but the principle of it is unethical. Teachers often require printed copies of assignments. While selective teachers have printers in their rooms that they allow students to print assignments, many students look to the library as being their source of printing. However, they are forced to pay to print there.

Having a printing fee itself is not a problem. Schools spend thousands of dollars each year on printing paper and the process itself isn’t free. Associate Principal, Adam Pagett, said “Printing is expensive for the school. Every high school has to deal with the costs that come with using large amounts of ink and paper.”

But if classes require printed copies, there needs to be changes; either change the fee or change the way assignments are turned in. Many classes have begun to adopt different methods for turning in assignments. Numerous alternatives exist for teachers such as Google Classroom, which allows students to turn in assignments online in an easy-to-access fashion. 

Social studies teacher, Mrs. Russell, said “Google Classroom helps with grading assignment because it’s easier than carrying hundreds of papers home to grade. However, it isn’t always perfect for every assignment.” Providing free printing for all could create monetary issues for the school, as this could be inevitably abused by students wishing to print things that are simply a waste of school funds. 

To prevent students from abusing printing privileges, the school should limit free printing to school related assignments. Limits can be placed on how many sheets can be printed at a time so students don’t print hundreds of pages citing academic purpose. Extra sheets past the limit and things printed that aren’t for a class can be charged. If paper is an issue, double sided printing could be an option.

Many fees at public schools are stated to be optional. Parking passes, paying to attend school activities and school lunches are a few that immediately come to mind. These fees are justifiable due to their status of not being mandatory and having free alternatives.

Parking passes are not necessary for all students as the school provides free transportation through buses for those outside a certain range. School activities like football games are not mandatory for students to attend. School lunch can be free or reduced for some and can be brought from home. However, printing has no real free alternative.

Senior Ethan Brown felt that having the library be a place where students could print for free would, “eliminate excuses for not having their assignment printed out.” Changes need to be implemented to allow students to turn in assignments without having to pay a fee that is said to be optional.