Left or Right: The importance of an opinion

Political+freedom+to+express+thoughts+is+a+constitutional+right+that+citizens+can+use+to+share+their+voice+in+politics.+
Karleigh Nading.
Political freedom to express thoughts is a constitutional right that citizens can use to share their voice in politics.

The political fire has never burned hotter than it does presently: political polarization is at an all time high, the 2000s babies are standing up for what they believe in, and some of the most ambitious bills in history are being proposed on the House floor. 

Yet there is still a population that does not care–and indifference in politics is dangerous to society.

Senior Jackson Mclaughlin plans on registering to the Republican party before the 2020 election. “The biggest mistake that you could make is not picking the wrong side but rather not picking at all,” he said.

Still, countless teens around the country who will be eligible to vote next year couldn’t seemingly care any less about the candidates vying for the presidency.

Politics around the world affect daily life; all health regulations, taxes, gas prices, and minimum wage are determined by the government. 

Seniors currently filling out FAFSA forms should know that the next politician elected could have a major impact on that funding. Ambitious politicians like Elizabeth Warren have proposals such as the debt forgiveness program. On the other side, 62 percent of Republicans do not believe that public universities should be free.

While many don’t care much about the upcoming election, they certainly care about their social media accounts. And while the right to engage in social media is included in the First Amendment, the American Civil Liberties Unit (the ACLU) reported that the federal government is placing limits on social media “in the name of counterterrorism.” While terrorism is a legitimate concern, the government is not entitled to pressure social media companies to “limit content on platforms that hundreds of millions of people use every day,” said the ACLU.

Many high school students have jobs in which the minimum wage is directly affected by the government. Junior Courtney Mohr currently makes $7.25 an hour, Iowa’s minimum wage. But if she lived in Maine, Mohr would likely bring home $11.00 an hour. One could argue that almost $4 per hour difference might prompt the unconcerned to take a stand in supporting a politician that would fight for a higher minimum wage.

Apparently not.

Issues related to college funding, First Amendment rights and minimum wage are just a few of the many things that affect how our country evolves. A person can believe in whatever he/she wants. Just believe in something. 

In the midterm elections, 49 percent of eligible voters cast a ballot, a historic high compared to the average 36.6 percent in presidential elections. Still, Mohr believes even the higher turnout to be disappointing. “Develop your own opinion on issues…because if you do not follow, you should not complain,” she said.

Each voice matters, despite what many believe. Whether left or right, both sides encourage political engagement. And engaging in something is a vast improvement from indifference.