Spartan Nation kicks off the Student Hunger Drive with high hopes

Spartan+Assembly+collects+cans+for+the+Hunger+Drive+at+Spartan%E2%80%99s+Fill+the+Truck.+
Aabha Joshi
Spartan Assembly collects cans for the Hunger Drive at Spartan’s Fill the Truck.

The Spartans are preparing for another successful year with the Student Hunger Drive.

Last year students were almost able to reach their goal and collected 57,859 pounds. The goal for this year is the equivalent of 60,000 pounds of food by Nov. 14. Currently, Spartan Nation has collected just over 3,000 pounds. The Spartans are still far from their goal; however, there is still a significant amount of time left. 

Spartan Assembly has used numerous incentives to encourage the community to donate. 

The earliest event this year included the Spartan’s Fill the Truck held at the first home football game against Bettendorf. Pleasant Valley was successfully able to fill the entire truck and raise roughly $3,000. 

At the hunger drive assembly, a group of students were also able to participate in Dancing with the Studs. The judges, Stephanie Risius and Jenni Levora, determined a winning pair based off the reaction from the audience and the amount of food donated to each pair. This friendly dancing competition helped the school pack 12 boxes for the cause. 

Spartan Assembly will be continuing their efforts with the annual Powderpuff tournament, Trick-or-Treating for Cans and Trivia Night. However, they have also found a new incentive to get the students involved: Pleasant Valley’s  Next Top Model. During the first week, “audition week,” teachers will attempt to bring in 30 pounds to qualify. The following week, “rivalry week,” consists of head-to-head competitions among the teachers. 

In addition to these new competitions, teachers will be requested to bring in highly prioritized items–canned meats, peanut butter, canned soups, tuna and cereal. Each week teachers will be eliminated and attempt to be the Next Top Model of the 2019 Pleasant Valley Student Hunger Drive.

Though the school provides fun competition during the hunger drive season, the students value the real reason behind the hunger drive: providing to those in the community that are food insecure. “Seeing the impact first hand opens my eyes to what the community can truly do,” said Spartan Assembly Executive Aabha Joshi.  As a leader, Joshi is ready to make this year’s drive as successful as the last. 

At a school as fortunate as Pleasant Valley, it can be difficult to understand the severity of food insecurity in the community. 

As Class Division A winners for the past two years and titled “Most Improved” in 2017, Pleasant Valley has great potential and can set their mind to accomplish their goal. Ramya Subramaniam, a Spartan Assembly Executive, stated, “It’s so fulfilling knowing we are bringing the district together to help the community.”