District’s focus on in state colleges leads students to self inform

Delaney Evans
Delaney Evans has committed to the University of Michigan to continue her academic and rowing career.

Many seniors at PVHS have thought about the opportunity of going out of state to pursue their career and continue their education. These students find information about colleges to see what would challenge them and help them gain the most success.

Whether the student’s reason to go out of state is because they want to go out of the city or just because they found a high ranked school to fit their major, all the students’ goals are to succeed.

As the fall season is here, deadlines are approaching and seniors must decide where they want to apply and what aspects they think are the most important when applying, whether it is in state or out of state.

Senior Amulya Pillutla is aware that Iowa has great opportunities, but she also knows there are other opportunities outside of Iowa as well. “I would like to go out of state because I would benefit from going to the University of Michigan or Northwestern with the major I am pursuing,” she said.

Scott Rice, a counselor at Pleasant Valley, thinks it is very important for the counselors to address Iowa colleges more than others. “The Regent schools are where a majority of students go, so we try to talk about those more to help the students,” he said.

Rice stated students are able to communicate with counselors and teachers if they want to know information about out of state colleges. “There are students every year interested in exploring places out of Iowa, and we have students who discuss other postsecondary options away from four year programs,” he said.

While many students apply in state as a backup plan to possibly getting rejected, some seniors don’t want that to be an option. Pillutla is looking at many colleges away from Iowa, and she is working hard on her applications, with hopes of being accepted.

Pillutla has been informed about these colleges in many ways. “I get informed about out of state colleges from research at home and also looking specifically for colleges that would fit my major,” she said. High schools and outside resources can be helpful with gaining important information.

Delaney Evans has recently committed to the University of Michigan and she, like Pillutla, did research on her own to see what school would best fit her. “The school has a very competitive rowing program and amazing academics, and I wanted a school that would challenge me,” she said.

PVHS helps students explore their options in many ways. Students have the opportunity to do career cruising every year, attend class meetings and even have private meetings with the counselors to talk about postsecondary plans.

With an increasing number of seniors applying out of state, seniors are being informed of many ways that will bring success to their lives throughout their postsecondary education.