Changing the course of history: 100 years after the 19th Amendment

Alumni+Lily+Williams+proudly+displays+her+poster+atop+the+Department+of+Justice+sign%2C+hoping+to+get+a+better+view+of+the+speakers+at+the+Women%E2%80%99s+March+in+Washington+D.C.+Williams+is+an+avid+supporter+of+women%E2%80%99s+rights%2C+including+the+right+to+vote.+
Grace Halupnik
Alumni Lily Williams proudly displays her poster atop the Department of Justice sign, hoping to get a better view of the speakers at the Women’s March in Washington D.C. Williams is an avid supporter of women’s rights, including the right to vote.

Throughout history, the amendments of the Constitution paint the story of America’s progression and revision as a country. The 19th is no different, encompassing the reappraisal of women’s rights and roles in society. 

This year marks the 100 year anniversary of the passing of the 19th Amendment, an event that changed the course of politics and gave women the most fundamental right of democracy.

Voting has been an integral part of America’s government since the American revolution. “Voting is your most basic right as an American. It is your voice, the way that you have a say in the government and who will represent you,” said American government teacher Sara Russell. 

Giving women the right to vote did not just allow them to play a role in American government–it was also a major step toward equality. 

The New York Times published an article in 1914 declaring that women should not have suffrage because they were not biologically made for it as men were. It suggested voting could lead to health issues such as infertility. These beliefs were so deeply rooted in society that they were even deemed as scientific. Mainstream science indicated women had inferior brains, quite simply making them incapable of the difficult task of voting.  

Now women across the country have the freedom to express their own beliefs and cultivate change to the same degree as any man. Last midterm, women outvoted men by over three percent and currently a record of 25 women serve as US Senators. Russell is an avid voter and believer in the power each vote possesses.  “[Voting] makes me feel proud and important to our system. I feel like my voice is being heard and that I am a valued member of this country,” she said.

Young women are also optimistic about their role as future voters. Senior Aabha Joshi is involved in student government and able to vote for the first time in the upcoming election this winter. “I am excited to vote in order to choose candidates who support ideas similar to mine. It is especially important that women vote in order to show a different viewpoint in topics and to express these differing opinions,” said Joshi. 

Not only has women’s suffrage created pride and equality among women, it has also shaped American politics. US Senator Tammy Baldwin spoke on the floor of the Senate in June about women’s vital role within politics. “My experience with the women of the U.S. Senate, past and present, is that they ran for office and came to Washington to solve problems,” declared Baldwin. “I feel like we are guided by the idea that our job is to work together and get things done.”

Baldwin is a strong advocate for a democracy that reflects the people for which it works. Since women make up half of the population, she and other leaders agree that giving women the right to vote has ushered in a greater perspective in American politics. It has created a new era of equality and human rights. 

CBS News pointed out the 19th Amendment’s passage plowed a path for Civil Rights legislation and greater LGBTQ+ federal protections. As a supporter of the LGBTQ+ community, Russell agrees. “Our government is enhanced by diversity so women bring diverse ideas just like any other group within society. As women have taken on more roles in the government, they have shown that they can lead and lead well,” said Russell. 

Today 131 women serve in congress, hundreds more hold positions all across America and millions cast their votes each election. Over the last 100 years, society has experienced great political change and social progression.

Women continue to change the course of elections with each year, offering their unique perspectives and proving the days of questioning a woman’s worth belong buried in the country’s past.

$580
$1000