Illinois goes green: legalization of marijuana hopes to boost state revenue

Nate Martell
At the beginning of 2020, the recreational distribution and usage of marijuana will be legal in Illinois.

The Illinois legislature passed a bill allowing for the recreational sale and use of marijuana in May of 2019. This law will go into effect on January 1, 2020 and has stirred up much controversy in Illinois and surrounding states. 

Illinois has become the eleventh state to legalize marijuana. This is due in part to the large tax revenue the state will gather and allow for those convicted of possession to possibly get their records expunged. Colorado legalized recreational marijuana use in 2014 and has made upwards of $1 billion in tax revenue, according to CNBC

Illinois governor, J.B. Pritzker, saw this tax revenue as a potential way to help the state as they are in the midst of a financial crisis. Illinois’ deficit currently stands at $3.2 billion. This is why the bill passed through a state legislature vote rather than a constituent vote. The taxes on buying marijuana will range anywhere from 10-25% depending on the potency of the product.

Adults 21 and older will be able to purchase up to 30 grams of marijuana at a time. Non-residents will be able to purchase half of this amount. In terms of growing marijuana, only those that use marijuana for medical reasons will be able to grow their own. 

Public usage of marijuana will not be legal and must be used inside of a residence. It will come down to local governments to decide if they allow smoking inside of dispensaries. 

The Quad Cities and other parts of Iowa can expect to see an increase in marijuana availability due to the close proximity to Illinois. Iowa has not legalized the use of recreational marijuana and it is still illegal to sell, possess and use marijuana but “Iowa will definitely see an increase in illegal possession and usage,” stated senior Claire Bebow. “It will take a lot of planning on Iowa’s part to reduce the marijuana crossing into Iowa.”

In Iowa, possession of any amount of marijuana for first time offenders can lead to a $1,000 fine and/or six months of incarceration and is treated as a misdemeanor. Distribution of marijuana is treated as a felony and can lead to more serious consequences such as extended jail time and larger fines.

In the foreseeable future, Iowa currently has no plans to legalize recreational marijuana. There are many pros and cons to the legalization in Iowa but “I don’t believe in recreational marijuana,” stated Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds. “It’s a gateway and there are statistics there to support that.” Reynolds also pointed to statistics on car crashes that involved drivers under the influence of THC. 

Sophomore Cecelia Fierce said, “Despite all the downsides, there are numerous things that Iowa could benefit from the legalization of marijuana.” This includes large amounts of tax revenue and the expungement of those charged with possession, but with that also comes dangers such as illegal usage in surrounding states and those not of legal age “but I picture it being legalized in the next two to four years,” Fierce stated.

In the new year, Illinois can expect to see an increased usage in marijuana which can also lead to a bigger availability in the Iowa-Quad Cities. It is not legal to use and possess marijuana in Iowa and it can lead to major consequences if caught.

$480
$1000