Hollywood or Hollyweed?

2016 was full of change, and many were looking forward to a new year. However, in the very early hours of the new year, a serious alteration was made to the famous Hollywood sign in Los Angeles. Twitter user, @nsphil, shared, “LA kicking 2017 off with a real bang.”

While many were still celebrating the new year, an unknown vandal changed the Hollywood sign to say “Hollyweed” between the hours of midnight and 2 am on Sunday. The prankster could not be identified on the security cameras due to darkness. However, authorities believe it was a male. LA Police Officer, Christopher Garcia, said, “ We believe this person came from behind the sign.” Garcia also mentioned, “He used tarps to change the O’s into E’s”. But, the tarps were taken down by 11am on Sunday morning. The Los Angeles police has called this a misdemeanor charge of trespassing.

While some are upset about the act of vandalism, this is not the first time the sign has been tampered with. A man named Denny Finegood has altered the sign multiple times. In 1976, he changed the sign to say “Hollyweed” because of a marijuana law that went into effect. He changed the sign again in 1979 on Easter Day to read “Holywood.” He changed the sign for the final time in the 80’s during the Iran-Contra scandal to say “Ollywood” to mock Lieutenant Col. Oliver North. For now the Hollywood sign is intact and untouched, but who knows what changes it will undergo in the future.