The breakdown on the cut down: A shortage of Christmas trees creates high prices this season

Student+hangs+ornament+on+real+tree+while+wondering+if+fake+tree+would+have+been+less+of+a+hassle.+
Ava Sorgenfrey
Student hangs ornament on real tree while wondering if fake tree would have been less of a hassle.

In recent years, there has been a shortage of real Christmas trees, leaving problems for consumers and retailers.

With the holiday season around the corner, many set out to buy their Christmas trees. While some go for an artificial, pre-lit tree, others set out to find the perfect, authentic tree in nature. But a shortage of trees struck the market again, making it difficult to find the perfect tree at a reasonable price this Christmas season.

The shortage can be blamed on the 2008 recession. During this economic low, the planting of trees was on a decline–since the money they brought in was also at an unusual low. Trees take nearly a decade to grow, which has created a problem for their consumers, as there is now a shortage. 

Local retailer, Wallace’s Garden Center, feels the struggle that comes with the shortage. Wallace’s general manager and horticulturist Kate Terrell shared stock has been lower than in recent years. “Normally we order around 1500 trees, usually Fraser furs. This year we could only order 724 trees, and only about 500 of those were Frasers,” she said. 

A shortage is seen not only in stores but also at tree farms, where one can pick and cut down their own tree. Senior Jacob Holland went with family friends to help pick out their tree. “I noticed there wasn’t much to choose from and there were a lot that was in the process of growing,” he shared. 

Due to the shortage, prices have had to increase. “In recent years we’ve had to increase the price by as much as ten dollars per tree,” explained Terrell. 

Wallace’s purchases trees from North Carolina, one of the country’s largest tree suppliers. Along with North Carolina, Oregon leads in tree sales. One issue that arises is the fires that appear in Oregon; with the destruction of trees, pressure is put on the East Coast in Northern states. 

For those looking for a tree to serve this holiday season, it may come at a cost. Trees sold in stores such as Wallace’s, Home Depot and Lowe’s will vary in sizes, prices and type. The trees found in stores may be better quality than those found at tree farms. 

Real tree sellers are hoping, in the coming years, prices and stock will return to normal in order to bring the best quality trees into the homes of Christmas consumers across the nation. 

$480
$1000