Male athlete of the week: Stone Patten

+Quad+City+Blue%E2%80%99s+player+Stone+Patten+skates+down+the+right+side+of+the+rink+with+the+puck+in+on+of+the+Blue%E2%80%99s+regular+season+games+this+year.
Brynn Johnson
Quad City Blue’s player Stone Patten skates down the right side of the rink with the puck in on of the Blue’s regular season games this year.

Stone Patten did not have to look too far for inspiration to play hockey. The Quad City Mallards were a minor league hockey team that used to operate and play across the river in Moline. With the Mallards inspiration and unfaltering support from his dad, Patten’s love for hockey began to blossom at a young age. 

Patten began to construct a strong foundation of skills necessary for excelling in hockey as a toddler. At two years old, he learned how to skate, and at the ripe age of four, he began to play hockey. “I think starting (hockey) from a young age is what really made me into the player I am,” he said, “It’s much easier to be good in a sport when you were introduced to it when you are younger.”

Patten attributes his improvement and recent success to his involvement with the Quad City Blues. The Blues are not directly affiliated with PV, the team is made out of players from several of the surrounding high schools in the area. He began playing with them in his freshman year of high school and has been on varsity ever since.

It was not until last year, Patten’s junior year, that he saw his team and himself make it all the way to state. After a twelve game winning streak during the regular season and fifth-place finish in their league’s table, the Blues were awarded a trip to state.

Senior teammate Sam Sturtzer credits Patten’s individual ability and involvement with the team as one of the fundamental reasons the Blues have found success in the last two years. “He’s involved in a lot of the good things we do. He has definitely helped us win games,” Sturtzer said.

Along with the team success, Patten’s efforts for his team have been recognized by the league he plays in, Midwest High School Hockey League. With a trip to state and top ten in league points (goals and assists combined), Patten was recognized as a First Team All-Star by a unanimous vote.

Thus far in the new season, Patten has gotten out to a quick start. He leads his team in both goals and points, with 19 and 31, respectively. Patten looks to help push for another trip to state in his senior year.