A walk to self-discovery

Former student finds lifelong lessons and friends on a hike through America
Ali Young
Ali Young in Manning Park, Canada after she finished the Pacific Crest Trail.

People discover themselves in different ways. Some people find themselves through activities they participate in, others through religion or by moving to a new place. But one former PV student took a more unique path to self-discovery by simply going on a walk.

Ali Young, a 2015 PV graduate, made it her goal to complete the Pacific Crest Trail, a 2,650 mile long path that spans from Campo, Mexico to Manning Park, Canada. The trail officially opened in 1920 and was recognized by the US government in 1965 as a national trail. It has since attracted thousands of people, who walk parts or all of it each year. 

Young made it her goal to walk the entire 2,650 miles.

She first learned about the opportunity from a speaker at the University of Iowa. During the presentation, Young could only think about how amazing it would be if she took on this opportunity herself. She persevered through many obstacles to prove to herself and others that she could finish the Pacific Trail. 

During her 150 day long hike, the only supplies that were available to her were the ones she could carry on her back. She drank water from streams and occasionally slept on the ground. This, among other things, led Young to learn valuable life lessons.

Among these many lessons, Young discovered the value of a community. “The people I met along the way were my trail family. We helped each other out so much, and I’ll never forget them,” said Young. It took a network of people to finish the trail, and they felt an amazing sense of accomplishment when their journey was completed. 

Along with pushing herself physically, Young developed a mental grit she believes will stay with her for the rest of her life. “I now understand that things just work out. Being patient and letting things run their course ultimately made this an incredible experience,” she said. 

During her hike, Young grew into a great motivator. She learned how to motivate herself during the hike, and now feels she can motivate others as well. She believes motivation and patience are they keys to accomplish any feat people could accomplish. 

“All people have to do is have the right mindset. Anyone can finish the trail if they have the determination,” Young commented. While not simple, Young believes that the Pacific Trail can be conquered by anyone with the correct level of determination. The completion of her journey produced the greatest feeling of accomplishment she has felt in her life. 

Throughout all of her challenges, Young never lost faith in herself. She never doubted her abilities, believing things would work out in her favor as long as trusted the process. 

Going for a walk can be beneficial in clearing one’s mind. But in the case of Ali Young, a walk became a life-changing journey she’ll treasure forever.

$480
$1000