Top 10 Artists of the Decade

Kate Stewart
Senior Morgan McCartney listens to the top selling artist of the past decade.

As this decade comes to a close, a time for reflection on different talented artists throughout the past ten years presents itself. Just as each person changes drastically over the span of 10 years, many artists have changed up their sounds as well while still gaining popularity. Take a look at the top 10 best selling artists from the past decade.

10. Eminem:

Though he is now 47 years old, Eminem produced his hit album Recovery in 2010 that sold over 17 million copies. He later released three more albums. With all of his work in total, Eminem has sold almost 40 million units of his work.

9. BTS:

While it may come as a shock, this Korean pop group was among the most popular in the world beginning in 2010. In 2018, their hit Fake Love worked itself all the way up to number 10 on the Billboard Top 100 Hits. The group continues to have success worldwide, with their most recent performance being at Times Square on New Year’s.

8. One Direction:

This heartthrob boy band started the decade off strong. With an astounding 48.8 million sales, the group found success within their album Up All Night, which is among the top 20 albums of the decade. While their fame is no secret, neither is the band’s unfortunate breakup that occurred in 2016.

7. Bruno Mars:

While the artist has produced a total of only three albums, he has sold over 56.3 million units of his music to date. He has a wide variety of hits that showcase his unique sound, specifically on his hit albums Doo-Wops & Hooligans and Unorthodox Jukebox.

6. Rihanna:

Although her popularity was more present at the beginning of the decade, Rihanna has remained a top artist. She produced Love the Way You Lie in 2010, and since then it has stuck as the seventh most popular song of the decade.

5. Taylor Swift:

Though Swift began the decade as a country star, she transitioned into pop music soon after. Her popular album 1989 sold over 18 million copies in 2014. Her talent is also showcased in her other pop albums, Red, Lover and Speak Now.

4. Justin Bieber:

While his career blossomed when he was only a teenager, Bieber has remained consistent as a popular artist worldwide. He has released only two albums, however he has participated in multiple musical collaborations in songs like Let Me Love You and Despacito. His hit Baby remains the eighth most popular song of the decade.

3. Ed Sheeran:

Although this star’s fame rose in the US in 2014, his success spread worldwide only three years later in 2017. His popular hit Shape of You is the most popular song from 2016 as of now, and sits as the fifth most popular song of the decade.

2. Drake:

With over 40 billion streams on Spotify, Drake sits in the second spot. This equates to billions of hours of his audience listening to his music. Throughout the decade, Drake has produced various hits along with albums.

1. Adele:

Sitting at the top spot for the past ten years, Adele takes the lead of the top selling artist. While she has produced only two albums in the past 10 years, her strong voice has led her to the top of the charts.