10 ways to get back into the zone for the new semester

Margret Huang
Senior Grace Halupnik reviews notes before a test as she gets back into the zone for the new semester.

The start of second semester means that the dwindling motivation of millions of high school students across the country has reached an all-time-low, and Pleasant Valley High School is no different. Events like prom, graduation, and impending summer vacation plans occupy students’ minds while deadlines, obligations, and good study habits start to slip. For those that have managed to scrape together some semblance of willpower, here are ten ways to get back into the zone for the new semester.

1. Do some reflecting

Reflecting on past semesters is one way to ensure that the same mistakes are avoided, undesirable habits can be stopped, and questionable decisions are examined. A student failing a math class may want to reconsider their study avenues while a student garnering an average of five hours of sleep every night may want to reprioritize their after-school activities. In any scenario, reflection enables students to analyze what went wrong and what needs to be done.

1. Set goals for yourself

Along with reflecting, setting goals sits among the most clear-cut paths toward self-improvement. For example, if a student were to aim to do better in a class, setting goals for specific test scores and amounts of time studying would be beneficial. It is difficult to measure what has not been quantified, and it is easy to get discouraged when progress cannot be seen. The most effective goals are specific, relevant, measurable, and achievable. 

1. Find (or force) other people to study with you

Just as a candle can be used to light another candle, the fervor of one student can surely ignite another’s. One of the best ways to rejuvenate a desire to delve into study is to find a great group of people to study with. Students at Pleasant Valley High School can often be found congregating not only learning about chemical bonds, but also forming the unforgettable bonds of friendship. 

1. Find a good spot to study

An environment with the right ambience is essential to providing a physical space that matches a clear mental space. Students looking to try new places to study have the town at their disposal; coffee shops like Coffee Hound or Dunn Brothers Coffee and libraries are great places to get work done.

1. Take advantage of weekends

While week-nights can often be inundated with activity after activity, weekends can offer the much needed solace every high schooler is entitled to. Great ways to take advantage of the weekend include catching up on sleep, reviewing topics in class, and spending time with friends and family.

1. Try a new hobby

One way to boost excitement and prevent monotony is by trying a new hobby. Whether students are picking up tennis rackets, play scripts, or knitting needles, nothing spices life up more than something fresh to look forward to.

1. Make a countdown

It is always helpful to be reminded of what one is waiting for. Starting countdowns– either to spring break, summer break, or even graduation– serves as a great way for people to remember why they are doing what they do. Countdowns boost morale and keep people sane.

1. Learn to look forward to something in every class

It can be hard to get into the zone when one feels uncomfortable in a classroom. One way to avoid this issue is to find something enjoyable in each class period; this can include anything from a fun teacher, a nice seat-partner, a good book, or a fun project.

1. Don’t be afraid to talk to new people

Students who make new friends at the start of each semester often find themselves having more fun as the semester goes on. New friends in new classes can keep the excitement building and foster an environment conducive to performing well. 

1. Don’t get too discouraged if you mess up

Although this may be harder than it sounds, it is important for students to realize that one setback does not have to have catastrophic results. If an obstacle is reached, a bad habit is formed, or a promise to oneself is broken, it is vital to simply try again the next day.