It’s time for the Iowa Caucuses to die

Amy Oberhart
Seniors Amy Oberhart (left), Theo Dassie (middle) and Nolan Yoerger (right) caucus for the first time.

The Iowa Caucuses have long been a staple of the state of Iowa. However, the reign of Iowa being first in the nation needs to come to a close. 

Iowa has long celebrated being first in the nation when it comes to voting for a nominee for president. However, as this year showed, Iowa is just not well prepared or deserving of being first in the nation every year. 

This year, the Iowa caucuses took place on Feb. 3, but no results were known until late the next day. Generally, results to elections are known on the same night of that election, but the Iowa Democratic Party failed to meet this deadline. This incompetence shows how Iowa is just no longer able to hold this responsibility.

Iowa should also not have the first say in the elections because the demographics of Iowa do not match up with the general population; the country is 76.5 percent white, while voters in the democratic Iowa Caucus were 91 percent white. The lack of minority representation in Iowa makes the candidates that minorities most support be suppressed by much of their voter base being absent in Iowa.

If Iowa were to somehow keep its place in being first in the nation, the caucus system itself may have to come to an end. Only a handful of states still use a caucus, instead opting for primaries a simpler voting system instead. With the hectic nature of caucuses, it can be confusing to the average voter.  People attempt to convince other voters to come to their side; voters who support a candidate with not enough support are required to either change candidates or choose to not vote for a particular candidate.

A caucus also requires voters to take multiple hours out of their day to come to another location vote. This is simply not feasible for some of those who have physical disabilities, who can’t afford childcare, who work a late shift, or simply cannot make it to the caucuses on a Monday night. The inability to vote swiftly or on an absentee ballot disenfranchises any of the aforementioned people who wish to participate in the democratic process of the caucuses.

Most Iowa residents would want to keep the Iowa caucuses, as they bring the state to the national limelight for a few months every four years. This is understandable, as any state would love to have nearly every candidate spend time there and their state is paid attention to. Nonetheless, from an objective eye, it should seem that Iowa is just not good enough to hold the first voting in the nation.

Iowa already struggled to justify its place of holding the first caucuses before the debacle on Feb. 3. After already having little reason for it to be Iowa first, and now being unable to count votes in a timely manner, it is time for Iowa to take a step back.