Pleasant Valley High School’s favorite early-out activity

+Junior+Rohan+Abernathy-Wee+donates+blood+for+the+second+time%2C+with+plans+to+continue+in+the+future.%0A
Margaret Huang
Junior Rohan Abernathy-Wee donates blood for the second time, with plans to continue in the future.

On Feb. 5, Pleasant Valley High School held its second blood drive of the year. Although several people were debuting their status as donors, many were familiar faces. Each month, a number of students and teachers continually dedicate their time and energy to saving lives, one pint at a time.

While there may be a variety of reasons for an individual to give blood, the majority of donors are united by one common goal: to make a tangible impact. Because of how little is required to donate blood– teens with no experience and older people with scarce time can give– donating blood is one way that people of all ages can contribute to a cause they care about.

Aside from providing another avenue of philanthropy, donating blood offers a deeper meaning to some. For example, a student may be inclined to donate regularly if they had had to experience the accident of a loved one. As accumulated life experiences tend to make people more empathetic, those that have directly witnessed the impact of a few essential pints may want to play a role in the life-saving process.

Other students may be working toward the coveted status of being a gallon donor. Gallon donors are exactly what they sound like: people who have donated at least a gallon of their own blood over time. One gallon equates to eight pints, and usually one pint is drawn per donation. 

Math teacher Julie Spelhaug gives blood regularly. She attributes her frequent donations to the positive feelings that arise each time. “To know that I am helping somebody or possibly saving a life is the best feeling,” said Spelhaug.

Others, like junior Rohan Abernathy-Wee, explain their thought process rooted in empathy. “I think that since I have a healthy body and blood that it’s just the right thing to do. I might not always be healthy, and so I’d want others to do the same for me. I hate needles, but that’s just something that I can push through to help donate,” he said.

Spartan Assembly, who is responsible for hosting each blood drive, is extremely thankful for regular donors. Senior and executive member Aabha Joshi understands their important role. “Frequent donors are very important to the blood drive. They help to get other people involved and are dedicated to helping the community,” said Joshi.

The students and teachers of PVHS are constantly trying to involve themselves in the community, and donating blood is one way for those who are fortunate to give to those who are less fortunate. Regular blood donors know just how worthwhile their contributions are. For those in critical conditions, regular blood donors seem just as heroic as the supersonic flying figures in comic books.