How does Pleasant Valley react to the election?

Tuesday night the face of America changed. Teachers, lawyers, moms, dads, and newly legal 18 year olds voted for Donald Trump to be the president of the United States. Trump winning by 290 electoral votes and Clinton falling behind with only 228 votes. But not only did the Republicans win presidential, they also won the House and Senate making America a Republican-run country. But how did students of Pleasant Valley feel about the election?

This election had and is going to have a major impact on college students’ lives, especially with students going into college and coming out with loans, unemployment, and no home. This president will decide whether more jobs will open up, whether college becomes more expensive, and whether kids right out of college can be able to live successfully. Will Trump be able to do this? That’s what teens have to wait and see. The students at Pleasant Valley are split staggerly, many students actually had supported Bernie Sanders for a long time before Clinton was chosen.

As teens have gone through high school, friends have been made that are multiple different ethnicities with multiple different beliefs. This creates the love and overprotectiveness to come over into politics. Students want to fight for equality among themselves, and their friends want to fight for this generation’s beliefs. Gay marriage, pro-choice, equal pay, women’s rights, black lives matter, and so many others fight for what they believe is best for everyone. On the other hand there are students that are raised by their republican parents who want nothing to do with equality and want more to do with the older days.

“We all thought Clinton was going to win, and when Trump won it was all a surprise,” says senior, Grace Venzke. Polls showed Clinton winning on multiple sites, so the tables turned greatly when Trump was announced president. Students tweeted things such as “I’m scared for the future,” and the opposite “#TrumpTrain.” The next day multiple students wore Trump shirts and hats and at one point were chanting Trump. Clinton supporters on the other hand, were ranting over the news of America’s new leader. “I am scared that the fights we have been fighting will end, and will have to start all over,” says senior, Kelsey Borbeck.

A poll was put on twitter asking ‘How do YOU feel about the election?’ and 68 PV students responded with 25 percent being happy, 37 percent being upset and 38 percent saying they don’t care. This is the start of teens financial responsibilities and the start of their future, and 38 percent don’t care. So for Pleasant Valley, it’s split between caring for equality, caring for money, or not caring at all.

$480
$1000